It’s the same feeling we get watching other kinds of drama (hey, a dragon just incinerated that whole caravan!) It was the evening of Barack Obama’s reelection. We watch it not to see who wins but to see who is going to lose. The predictions and predilections come primarily from the outside, among professionals and hobbyists known as “China watchers.” I have always disliked the term, as if the world’s most populous country were some rare bird. In this case, updrafts as swift as 75 feet per second were recorded. The ground is fertile after we bury the dead. Instead of pursuing a singular story, the focus is on the language used to tell the story. To honor his bravery and to hold the Chinese government accountable, they say. The building that housed the campaign field office was demolished, and a Whole Foods Market stands in its place. I do not feel licensed to invent a grammar for a language I was not born with and raised in. It is April, after all. The closely stacked shelves are segmented into spaces several inches high, just over a foot wide. Of course he is right, and I was only making excuses. The purpose of the cookie is to map clicks to other events on the client's website. Or maybe it’s just my pants, which are still tight from December. They also call the pathogen that causes COVID-19 the “Wuhan virus.”. Under a gray blazer, I wore a t-shirt that read, “We are young but it’s real.”. These cookies also allow for the viewing of embedded content, such as videos. The convention hall at McCormick Place has been converted to a makeshift hospital, with 3,000 beds for COVID-19 patients. The two vocations cannot be more different: What they do share in common is the omnipresence of physical danger, and the inevitable confrontation with death. https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/525763-trump-retreats-from-public-eye-in-post-election-fight, https://www.thestreet.com/video/what-is-coronavirus, https://www.wsj.com/articles/ac-dcs-wild-ride-on-the-highway-to-hell-11605123234?mod=hp_featst_pos4, https://www.si.com/golf/2020/11/11/the-masters-tournament-augusta-national-field-contenders-daily-cover, https://www.wsj.com/articles/keith-richards-on-covid-19-the-next-rolling-stones-album-and-his-solo-career-11605107762?mod=hp_lead_pos13, https://www.euronews.com/2020/11/10/britain-s-johnson-france-s-macron-and-germany-s-merkel-congratulate-biden-during-phone-cal, https://www.ft.com/content/9697c211-c631-49b6-a91e-ae290fb02c3a, https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/10/stock-market-futures-open-to-close-news.html. After all, it’s the UPSETS that we remember, right? “April is the cruelest month,” so goes the opening line to T.S. It is also a day to pay respect to the dead. It is easy to understand why states resort to such rhetoric, regardless of the governing system: After all, war is politics by violent means. After the last speck of fire has dimmed, it is time to head back. The old world is clinging to its last breaths; a new order is in the making. Flags flew at half-mast. This cookie is set by Youtube and registers a unique ID for tracking users based on their geographical location. Standing alone in the pitcher’s spot, a professor of mine was delivering an impassioned lecture on quantum field theory. My mother always picks a weekday: She will take time off work, and I will skip half a day of class. April is the cruellest month, breeding Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing Memory and desire, stirring Dull roots with spring rain. I am an immigrant to this country and to its language: I am always compelled to prove my worth, that I am deserving of the place I lay no birthright claim to. Summer surprised us, coming over the Starnbergersee With a shower of rain; we stopped in the colonnade, On April 14, 1865, President Lincoln was assasinated. © 2020 SupChina.com. It was an ode to spring, warming weather and fluttering hearts. One of them belongs to my father. The diligent hours earned me a ticket to Obama’s victory speech at McCormick Place, where I ran into the reporter and his cameraman, who were excited to find a Chinese person among the jubilant crowd. When the time is right, she picks up a piece of chalk, writes my father’s name on the top of the pit, and places the incense next to it. T.S. The displays required slow viewing, as they explore complex relationships between humans and the environment, consumerism and its impact, everyday objects and their reactions to time. “Please buy what you need. It helps us understand the number of visitors, where the visitors are coming from, and the pages they navigate. Of course, loss aversion is the subject of serious behavioral economic studies, and features prominently in the prize-winning work of Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky, itself the subject of The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis. In the eerie silence, when discretion gives way to adolescent curiosity, I will peek at neighboring segments on the shelf. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. I want a vocabulary whose limit is only that of my abilities. Disclaimer: This page is kept for historical purposes, but the content is no longer actively updated. I hold my breath. What the cameras did not show were the long lines outside funeral homes in Wuhan in the days prior, and the security guards keeping watch, in case any outburst of grief disrupted the carefully constructed script. But the people who appropriate his name never cared about Li as a person. You might agree if you live in the southeastern United States. Objectively, the NCAA tournament is a pain-producing machine. I do not know if lights will turn on again in that beautiful space I had considered an extension of my home, or if I will find the same smiling faces to whom I never got a chance to say goodbye. She dusts it and calls out my father’s name. Maybe I experience fewer inhibitions when writing in English because I am less attached to it. That afternoon of Li’s death, I let myself linger in a sea of teardrop and candle emojis. They’re likely to get more data in the near future. Soon, so will summer.”. Coleman also noticed a correlation between the slope of the terrain and the onset of damage tracks. Staring at my confusion as if I were the most thoughtless child in the world, she added, “Qingming is in April.”. Managers categorically write off out-of-favor industries. These cookies can only be read from the domain that it is set on so it will not track any data while browsing through another sites. Scraps and sheets of molded plastic hung in a room: Their colors and texture reminded me of the bottom of an ocean. I log on Facebook for updates from friends: In a happy chorus of baby photos and kitchen adventures, there is always a jarring note, a fresh loss, the end of a song. The president tweets that he’s suspending immigration to protect jobs for American workers. I have gained no new insight and encountered no revelations. “Spring is almost over. Managers fall in love with stocks. The yield curve inverted, the political backdrop in the U.S. changed markedly, and Brexit appears to be on its last breath. I tell the editor I have no idea what to write for this month’s column. Fourteen names were announced by Beijing as the first group of “martyrs” in the country’s fight against COVID-19. The work is political in its social consciousness, but it is not one that conforms to an agenda. People would continue to live their lives of small joys and mundane worries, swallowing the indignities of bureaucracy and censorship. "April Is The Cruelest Month" We imagined ourselves As cathedral bells Ringing out through the moribund streets Like shrill courtesans Making fanciful plans That we whispered while drifting to sleep And I told you I'd stay In every possible way Though we both knew that that wasn't true It was the most eloquent pronouncement I saw from that day. April 13, 2012: In the opening lines to The Waste Land, T.S. It is not only the Chinese government that has labeled Li Wenliang a martyr, flattening a person into a political token. All traces of the dead must be scrubbed away before we resume activities of the living. Soldiers kill. This cookies is set by Youtube and is used to track the views of embedded videos. This cookie is installed by Google Analytics. On April 12, 1861, the Civil War began. I visited the show in early March with a dear friend, just before the museum closed due to COVID-19. I stare at the contour, imagining filling it with shades of a flame, but I catch myself midway: I dare not picture the state of the world come fall; I can barely look forward to summer. It is in times of war that a state seizes the most power, using the existence of a foreign threat to demand obedience. The ground was seared. “Every morning is like combat!” my mother used to complain, referring to the daily scramble of getting ready as a single, working parent. “Poetry has its own grammar anyway,” the editor says.