With gas, all you need to do is be sure that you start with a full tank of gas. I can’t stay away from it!! But I’m using a yoder pellet smoker and I was curious about not wrapping on this particular smoke. Transfer the pork to a large foil pan and stir in 1 to 1 1/2 cups Pig Picker Pucker Sauce, enough to keep the pork moist. COPYRIGHT © 2018 HOW TO BBQ RIGHT | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, Join the list and get Malcom's latest recipes, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window). tenderness. Apply a layer of mustard to the exterior of the pork shoulder and liberally dust with BBQ dry rub. 3 to 8 hours for marinating the meat (optional); also, allow yourself 4 to 6 hours cooking time, 6 cups hickory chips or chunks, soaked for 1 hour in cold water to cover and drained, 1 Boston butt (bone-in pork shoulder roast; 5 to 6 pounds), covered with a thick (1/2 inch) layer of fat. Step 7: To serve, pile the pork and cabbage on the hamburger buns, and spooning on additional sauce if desired. Pork butts, a spicy rub, and spicy vinegar barbecue sauce. You will know the meat is sufficiently tender when it is pierced with a fork or knife and there is little resistance. it in a crockpot Worth every minute. Pork shoulder is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 195, though you can let it creep up to 203 degrees for added tenderness. Removed from egg and, still wrapped in paper, placed in a cooler to rest and stay warm for 90 minutes before shredding. 6. I’m going to do the meet in my 34 series pellet cooker using Hickory pellets. My favorite BBQ sauce to serve with pulled pork is a mustard and vinegar based sauce that is specific to South Carolina known as Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce (also sometimes called Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce). sauces, pickles, and such available for your guests so they can fancy up use for potatoes or The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. Step 2: Set up the grill for indirect cooking, and preheat to 325 degrees F. Step 3: Place the pork shoulder, skin side up, on the grate over the drip pan. It may need to be cooked to 200 degrees to reach Elizabeth comes from Greensboro, North Carolina, where she grew up on pulled pork. You will want to smoke your pork roast at 225°F to 250°F until it reaches an internal temperature that is between  195°F to 205°F. Slaw and vinegar sauce were excellent additions. Exactly. This step After the rest, pull the pork, add some The meat fell apart beautifully. (Even though it will take a little longer, lower temperature smoking makes for juicier meats.) Alabama • Alaska • Arizona • Arkansas • California • Colorado • Connecticut • Delaware • Florida • Georgia • Hawaii • Iowa • Louisiana • South Carolina • Texas, Your email address will not be published. You can reheat and serve pulled pork sandwiches again, of course, but here are some of our favorite ways of using leftover smoked pulled pork: Any of your summer side dish favorites will go well with smoked pulled pork, but these are some of the ones we like best. Can I put this on a grill on indirect heat? Be sure to FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and TWITTER for more great recipe tips and ideas! ©2020 House of Nash Eats Design by Purr. I put it in the crockpot after I put the rub on it. This post may contain affiliate links. the coals to make sure it stayed hot.) I will definitely make these again-- minimal effort, just a little patience, and it's so delicious! Far west central Alabama (Sumter county) is a bbq hot spot. The spicy sauce and coleslaw are necessary elements to a great pulled pork sando!! Then you just take out the pork in the morning and pull it apart. Ludicrously tender, succulent and moist pulled pork smothered and covered in a silky smooth, sweet and tangy Carolina-style BBQ sauce. This is a great reason why you always want to plan for your smoked pork shoulder to be finished cooking well before it is time to eat, since smoking times can vary considerably. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Bible. Keeping to Carolina tradition, this pulled pork recipe includes a vinegar based BBQ sauce perfect for pouring over your pork. https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/north-carolina-pulled-pork These woods give a fairly mild smoke, which is perfect for pork. I’m guesstimating each half is about 8.5 lbs. Stir in 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the vinegar sauce, enough to keep the pork moist, then cover the pan with aluminum foil and place it on the grill for up to 30 minutes to keep warm. Your email address will not be published. Just wanted to leave a quick comment and let you know that I made this recipe over the weekend and it was a huge hit at our party. © 1998, 2008 by Steven Raichlen. You can spritz the pork with apple juice from a spray bottle once an hour as it is smoking if it's looking dry on the outside, but it's not absolutely necessary. I have made several pulled pork recipes- this one is king! Smoke is a really important ingredient in this recipe because it adds so much flavor to the pulled pork. The beginnings of a fine, North Carolina style pulled pork recipe is lazily smoked pork butts. Like always, I recommend using a good digital meat thermometer (affiliate link) to check the internal temperature of the meat in order to know when it is done. It is like candy! I put about a 1/2 t. liquid smoke in the bottom of the covered roaster with about 1/2 cup of water and had the meat sitting up out of the juice (used a turkey rack). Elizabeth doesn't use a rub, although many of her compatriots do. Be sure each plate also gets a hearty pile of Homemade Baked Beans and grilled corn on the cob to complete the meal! Just stir all the brine ingredients together well in a large pot or 2 gallon size ziploc bag, then add the pork butt, making sure it is completely covered in the brine and cover or seal, then stick it in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours before smoking it. Learn how your comment data is processed. Let the pork butt sit for 30 to 60 minutes to take some of the chill off before placing on the smoker. It’s the same amount of liquid whether you use water or apple juice. Smoker-Cooking.com   Copyright © 2005 - 2020   All Rights Reserved. Wrapped in pink butcher paper and put back on the Egg at 225-250 for another 9½ hours to an internal temperature of 200°. husband who is a HUGE fan of pulled pork Or will that screw everything up? How should I calculate cook time for this situation if I put both halves in the smoker at the same time? About Pork Shoulders If your pork shoulder gets done earlier than anticipated, you can keep it warm in a towel packed cooler for hours. In a large pot or extra large ziploc bag, combine the brine ingredients (including 3 tablespoons of the dry rub you just made), whisking or stirring for a minute to help the sugar and salt dissolve, then add the pork butt and seal well. I added a Ketchup is not used in eastern North Carolina BBQ Sauce, however, I side with the westerners in the state, because I find ketchup to be a welcomed addition to the recipe. Rave reviews!! Also, used chibatta rolls as they hold up better than hamburger buns. sandwiches gave it a 10+ I highly recommend Cover grill, and cook pork until pork is tender and shreds easily, about 6 hours. This long, slow cooking process breaks down the connective tissues of the pork shoulder and melts (or “renders”) the fat, leaving you with super moist, tender strands of pork the will just pull apart with a couple of forks. after three hours, whiskey), and it was When the internal temp hits 160 wrap the pork shoulder with butcher paper, and continue smoking. No shortcuts, just the best smoked pork shoulder and pulled pork sandwiches you've ever doused in a tangy vinegar based BBQ sauce! No shortcuts, just the best smoked pork shoulder and pulled pork sandwiches you've ever doused in a tangy vinegar-based BBQ sauce! The Carolinas are famous for their smoked pork, and their tangy vinegar-based barbeque sauce. Smoked low and slow with apple, cherry, or hickory wood, and slathered with Carolina mustard BBQ sauce, this recipe makes the best pulled pork sandwiches ever! Don't worry is the smoker temperature fluctuates, any temperature between 225 - 250 is sufficient. Additionally, this is also why it is important to use a, There are lots of easy recipes online to make pulled pork sandwiches. Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #houseofnasheats and tag me (@houseofnasheats) so I can stop by and give your post some love. https://ohsweetbasil.com/worlds-best-carolina-pulled-pork-recipe I served it with the vinegar sauce coleslaw on buttered and toasted buns, then proceeded to die and go to heaven. Once the pork has finished smoking, remove it from the smoker and let it rest for 1-2 hours to redistribute the juices. Heat smoker to 225 degrees and add 3 hickory chunks for smoke. This rub, or subtle variations of it, are what I use on almost all our smoked and grilled pork, but it’s also excellent on chicken as well. In a small bowl, mix together all dry ingredients. If it is still tough, cook longer. They are easily, no question, my two top choices every time. was afraid four However, this will soften the bark.