I am a nutritionist, food photographer and food blogger who loves delicious, healthy food! Sprinkle yeast over the surface and allow to dissolve, about 5 minutes. Learning how to bake bread in a Dutch oven is the first task many undertake when embarking on their bread baking journey at home—myself included. Mediavine serves content and advertisements when you visit the Website, which may use first and third-party cookies. It was my mother-in-law's favorite. Carefully remove the pot from the oven and place it on a trivet or heat-safe surface. My preferred flours are by. Place lid on top. Mix it for a good 2-3 minutes to ensure there are no pockets of flour. It came out....perfect! Store the bread wrapped in a tea towel, paper bag or in a bread bag. Place lid on top. Let sit for 5 minutes, if your yeast is still active, foam and some bubbles will appear on the top of the water. You may find OpenX’s privacy policy, Verizon Media formerly known as Oath. Literally four ingredients, that’s it! Mix the flour, salt, and yeast thoroughly in a large bowl, then add warm water. Thank you! The reason that the water temperature is 70to75 degrees is because the rise time is 7 to 8 hours. Mix by hand, wetting your working hand before mixing so the dough doesn’t stick to your fingers. Pour bread flour into the bowl of an electric stand mixer and add water, followed by salt. Third-party cookies, tags, pixels, beacons and other similar technologies (collectively, “Tags”) may be placed on the Website to monitor interaction with advertising content and to target and optimize advertising. place a 6-quart Dutch oven (or heavy cooking pot with oven-safe lid) inside the oven. If it springs back, let it rise longer. The first time it came out perfect. Side note: I absolutely love my Pampered Chef Rock Crock Dutch oven. We don’t have many choices here, so I’m really curious. Sprinkle a bit of flour on top of the dough. The heat cooked off the alcohol but left a great flavor to mix with the nutmeg. I’m not sure why I waited so long but I finally made a loaf of my own this week. The texture finishes up in the resting period. Very. Knead lightly to release the gas. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 15 minutes before picking up and letting it rest for another 30 on a chopping board. If nothing happens, your yeast is likely out of date or has been open for too long and your bread may not rise as well. You may find Amazon Publisher Services’ privacy policy, AppNexus. So I totally thought everyone was over banana brea, Chicken noodle soup: the ultimate comfort food in, Eton Mess Roulade Finally getting around to s, #Ad - Excited to be partnering today with @minami_, Warm kale & butternut squash salad Warm salad, I hope you all enjoyed the extra hour of sleep las, The happiest of birthdays to my love @freddiemoros, Dutch oven: this is somewhat essential to this recipe and really makes it so much easier to get the baking of this bread right. Most Popular Board Games Perfect for the Whole Family ». You may find Digital Remedy’s privacy policy, MediaGrid. You can also use instant yeast, just don’t mix it with the water first, simply mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Cover with a tea towel and proof somewhere warm for 2 hours, or until it has doubled in size and seems inflated. Bake an additional 30 minutes. Bread is done when the internal temperature is 200F. Recover with the tea towel and proof for 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size again. Working quickly, place the ball of dough on a sheet of parchment paper and carefully place it in the Dutch oven. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt by hand. Fold the dough under itself several times to form a ball, then pinch together the seams of dough underneath. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. The picture you see is MY FIRST ATTEMPT! Crackling homemade Dutch-oven bread makes an average day extraordinary. I recommend only proofing out on the side if it is summer and your house is warm, if not, place it in your laundry room, airing cupboard or use the oven proofing method (my favourite). Storage: Store your cooled loaf in a bread bag, paper bag, or wrap in a linen or cotton napkin/tea towel. Learning how to bake bread in a Dutch oven is the first task many undertake when embarking on their bread baking journey at home—myself included. It was hard to let it go, I will admit it, but I did snitch a slice for Papa and me to share! I was totally shocked by the results and even more amazed at how easy and inexpensive it was to make! Pubmatic. Each internet browser has functionality so that you can block both first and third-party cookies and clear your browser’s cache. After 30 minutes, remove the lid from the dutch oven. The links in this post may contain affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my link. Remove the lid and continue baking until deep golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Incredibly easy rustic bread loaf with a crisp crust and chewy middle. Using a sharp knife, make a slash (1/4 in. + rising Bake: 45 min. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. You may find YieldMo’s privacy policy, The Rubicon Project. Yeast: a dried active yeast is the best option for this recipe. In a large bowl, whisk 6 cups flour, 2 teaspoons active dry yeast and 2 teaspoons salt. Easy recipes and cooking hacks right to your inbox. Quick Dutch Oven Bread Recipe Ingredients. Welcome to essentially emma. The hot dutch oven creates the perfect steamy environment for a good rise and a nice crispy crust! Using the parchment, immediately lower bread into heated Dutch oven. Have a recipe of your own to share?Submit your recipe here. Anything breathable to keep that lovely crust! It’s lighter than other Dutch ovens, dishwasher safe, and can withstand temperatures up to 750 degrees. Remove loaf from pan and cool completely on wire rack. A cookie is a small text file which is sent to your computer or mobile device (referred to in this policy as a “device”) by the web server so that a website can remember some information about your browsing activity on the Website. They are just the best! LLC - You may find Conversant’s privacy policy. Once Dutch oven is heated, turn dough onto a generously floured surface. I think you’ll be as surprised and delighted as I was! Thank you. These cookies do not store any personal information. A third-party cookie is frequently used in behavioral advertising and analytics and is created by a domain other than the website you are visiting. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. In a large bowl, whisk 6 cups flour, 2 teaspoons active dry yeast and 2 teaspoons salt. During the initial stages of baking, steam is released from the dough itself … Score the top of your dough in whatever pattern you prefer – a simple cross is the standard. Cover with the lid and return the pot to the oven. It’ll be VERY HOT.). Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. You may find MediaGrid’s privacy policy, RevContent - You may find RevContent’s privacy policy, Centro, Inc. - You may find Centro’s privacy policy, 33Across, Inc. - You may find 33Across’s privacy policy, Conversant. Mix on medium speed using the paddle attachment until the dough comes together. This creates surface tension on top of the bread for that lovely crust! The dough should give some resistance, but not spring back. Add more water if it is still floury, or a sprinkle more flour if it is wet. Enjoy this beautiful crusty bread recipe as is, or stir in a few favorites like cheese, garlic, herbs and dried fruits. Let it preheat for 45 minutes-1 hour. My favourite is the If your parchment paper can’t withstand heat this high, you can either lower the oven temperature and bake the bread for longer or grease the dutch oven instead. Once Dutch oven is heated, turn dough onto a generously floured surface. First party cookies are created by the website that you are visiting. This recipe is for a large loaf so you will need a 6-8 quart (5.5-7.5L) dutch oven. Gently place on top of a piece of parchment. My favourite is the, Banneton: these make bread proofing easy and add a nice pattern, but aren’t necessary. Why is the water temperature so low? Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Foodie Pro & The Genesis Framework. Introducing steam in the home oven—a beneficial component in bread baking—can be a challenge, and a sealed pot makes this process simple and unassuming. Put the lid on the Dutch oven and return it to the hot oven. This will require a minimum of 2 hours to a maximum of 4 hours. It only takes a few minutes to gather the bubbly dough with floured hands and form it into a plump round loaf. Uncover the dough and use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Then uncover and bake it for a few minutes longer until the crust browns to a lovely honey gold color. The dough will bubble up and rise. Check your email to confirm your subscription. Preheat the oven to 450˚F (230˚C) with the pot inside for 45 minutes-1 hour But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. https://theviewfromgreatisland.com/easy-dutch-oven-bread-recipe Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. You may find Pubmatic’s privacy policy, Criteo. Using a metal scraper or spatula, quickly shape into a round loaf. Your email address will not be published. Turn oven down to 350. This recipe is for a large loaf so you will need a 6-8 quart (5.5-7.5L) dutch oven. and gently pick up your dough and plop it down in the dutch oven.