As a result, many years ago I came up with a simple mantra to help with menu planning: “wet, dry, fresh, and spicy.” These are the four elements that you want to have represented on any given table. Massaman chicken curry is especially famous for being a Thai Muslim dish that has flavor influences from Persia. A few of the familiar Arab flavors mixed with the coconut milk of Thailand and you’ve got what is an internationally acclaimed favorite! The minced pork is combined with a variety of distinct ingredients like garlic and lemongrass to give it a spicy lemony flavor. Healthy and massively flavorful, this is surely a dish to impress! } If you like spicy food, you know the exhilaration from eating a perfectly spicy dish; it’s like the food version of a runner’s high. no_error = false; Though it’s way far out and hard to get to, I think this khao moo daeng restaurant is the best in Bangkok. Remember that Thai meals don’t really have courses; all the dishes—including soups and salads—are eaten at the same time, so it’s extra important that the flavors work together. Eat Thai is a fully licensed restaurant. 268 likes. Khao yam is sort of like fried rice, without the fried part.

A good bowl of Khao Soi, like at Krua Kon Dee’s, includes sliced pickled mustard greens, red onions and a squeeze of lime!

The end result is a fresh salad mishmash that gets its flavor from the lime and takes on the richness of the egg yolks. r = true; Imagine a classic brown gravy, but instead of placing it over mashed potatoes, ladle it over noodles, and you’ve got Thai radna. for (var i = 0; i < tooltips.length; i++) { The secret is in the soup, a cauldron of chicken and onions boiled until soft creating an aromatic chickeny broth. Now I find that bitterness is such a wonderful flavor that’s so neglected in much of Western cooking. var allInputs = form_to_submit.querySelectorAll('input, select, textarea'), tooltips = [], submitted = false;

return false; Since many Thai dishes are spicy, it isn’t hard to accidentally end up with a table full of chiles if you don’t pay attention. if (elem.type != 'radio' && elem.type != 'checkbox') { It may be an acquired taste, but I absolutely love this dish! You can order goong ob woon sen from any Thai Chinese seafood restaurant like Hua Seng Hong Restaurant or T and K Seafood. Needle mushrooms are kind of like chewing on pieces of pork fat, except much much healthier! Bitter melon stir fried with shrimp or stir fried with egg are both wonderful Thai dishes!

var _removed = false; var form_submit = function(e) {

script.type = 'text/javascript'; Melon leaves happen to be one of my favorite vegetables to eat in Thailand. if (!tooltips[i].no_arrow) resize_tooltip(tooltips[i]); These are the crispiest, most flavorful roast potatoes you'll ever make. The coconut milk brings all the flavors together into a harmonious Thai concoction that’s splendid with a plate of rice.

It’s then bathed in fish sauce and lime juice, making it one of the essential Thai dishes to be eaten with sticky rice. Even though most Thai salads are protein-heavy, the fresh herbs and the fat-free, lime-based dressing keep them feeling quite light. I’ve heard people say, “I don’t like Thai food because I don’t like spicy food,” but that’s like saying, “I don’t like pizza because I don’t like pepperoni.” There are plenty of Thai dishes that aren’t spicy, and anything that is inherently spicy can always be toned down to suit your heat tolerance. Normally chuchee curry is made with mackerel fish and it’s common to be eaten as a khao rad gaeng (rice topped with a choice of different dishes) dish. It’s popular in places as far away as Iran and Zanzibar, and also common in Thailand where it’s known as khao mok gai. The variety of textures and sweet lemon aroma of the stalks create a marvelous mixture.

Oyster sauce and young celery stalks are the fundamental ingredients of pad pla keun chai, giving it a Chinese food flavor and making it one of my ultimate comfort dishes. Fermented shrimp sauce pounded with lots of chillies and mixed with lime juice is the basic composure of the sauce. The yellow curried rice is cooked with chicken broth so it’s oily and extremely flavorful. And if you like beef, you’ll be excited to try this wonderful Thai style curry made with beef (instead of pork or chicken all the time). The first is known as bpet yang (roasted duck) and the second method is bpet paloe (boiled in soy sauce and Chinese five spice). (This is one of the bonuses of cooking your own Thai food!). (function() { "); for (var i = 0; i < radios.length; i++) { e.preventDefault(); Nam prik ong (tomato-and-pork chile relish), Not all Thai food is spicy. var elems = form_to_submit.elements[elem.name]; Generally, in Thailand, if a family consists of three or more people, a meal would include at least three dishes (this is very common since we often have multiple generations living under one roof), though it helps to remember that these can be very simple dishes so it may sound more involved than it needs to be. There are countless different variations and ways to make the sour spicy soup, but I particularly like it with either shrimp or mixed seafood. I won’t lie to you, when I first had this dish, I was unimpressed. Tao hoo song kreung is a mixed tofu dish that included pieces of egg tofu, minced pork, and whatever bits of vegetables the chef decided to throw in. "); (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Though pad phet pla duk tod is swimming in a layer of oily grease, the tempting flavor makes it a crowd pleaser. The process begins with an egg that is fried thinly and stuffed with minced pork and a few random vegetables in a tangy sauce that reminds me of Sloppy Joe’s. The result is a fiery broth that will excite your taste buds with every slurp! Hor mok is an assortment of mixed seafood cooked with coconut cream and pieces of coconut flesh before being loaded into a young coconut to be served. There’s no explicit set of rules; rather, there’s an unspoken understanding that there are some boxes to tick when you’re deciding what to have for dinner. no_error = false; no_error = false; } tooltips = []; We also like to have sticky rice with grilled and fried meats—fried chicken or grilled pork skewers wouldn’t be complete without some hot sticky rice! Tom Kha Gai is a famous Thai chicken and galangal soup that’s eaten more like a curry than a soup. Well take one of those guys, debone it, and mix up the flesh with red onions, toasted rice, galangal, dried chillies and throw on some sprigs of mint and you’ve got a seriously mouthwatering dish. With its sharp teeth and ugly head, it’s not the most attractive of fish in the water, but it sure tastes wonderful. Catfish and all the tasty Thai dishes that are made from it, make it one of the most commonly beloved fish in Thai cooking. } The Thai version of moo satay consists of pork marinated in turmeric and coconut milk before being grilled with more coconut milk and served along with a side dipping peanut sauce and a few pickled cucumbers and red onions. Boo pad pongali, or crab pongali curry, is another highly prized version of this dish, available at all seafood restaurants throughout Bangkok. var getCookie = function(name) {

window._show_thank_you = function(id, message, trackcmp_url) { At first, I thought, “What’s the big deal? element['on' + event] = function() { return new_tooltip;
tooltip.className = '_error'; var results = new RegExp(regexStr).exec(allInputs[i].name); The result is easily some of the tastiest clams you’ll ever eat!

Born and raised in Thailand, Pailin is a chef-turned-YouTuber behind the popular Thai cooking show Hot Thai Kitchen.

The leaves and shoots are stir fried with oyster sauce and garlic so the dish is massively flavorful and the texture is slightly tough but tender at the same time. 229 Glenmore Road, Paddington, … if (!value.match(/^[\+_a-z0-9-'&=]+(\.[\+_a-z0-9-']+)*@[a-z0-9-]+(\.[a-z0-9-]+)*(\. It was prior to backpacking Southeast Asia that I had experimented a number of times grilling fish, only to have half of my fish end up stuck to the grill.

A few slice of duck and its precious skin served over a plate of rice and drizzled in duck juice is known as khao na bpet. } Chicken is stir fried in many variations and along with many different strong flavoring ingredients in Thailand. There are probably hundred of version of pounded chili sauces, each region of the country having their own speciality. If you enjoyed this guide and would like more Thai food information and tips please consider getting a copy of the Eating Thai Food Guide – an eBook filled with over 3 years of Thai food information and photos on how to take advantage of the best Thai food! Roasted catfish are not pretty to look at, but thankfully they taste really good! Satay is a widely popular meaty snack throughout all of Southeast Asia.

Wide rice noodles are fried with a mixture of meat and assorted vegetables, salted generously, and delivered as a scrumptious mess of food ecstasy.

if (!selected) { "); Crisp spring rolls filled with shiitake mushrooms, A small, savory, deep-fried egg cake topped with chopped scallions and snipped chives, A spicy salad of fresh green papaya served here with apple, pear, cashews, cherry tomatoes and garlic, in a Thai chile-lime-tamarind dressing, A spicy and sour hot soup made with coconut milk, usually available with chicken or with vegetables as a vegetarian option, Fresh grilled chicken seasoned with herbs and a sweet tamarind-chile sauce, Spicy glass noodles dressed with fish sauce and topped with shrimp, tomatoes, garlic, chiles, bean sprouts and ground peanuts, Thailand's most well-known noodle dish — a combination of cooked rice noodles, shrimp, tofu, crushed peanuts, nam pla, bean sprouts, garlic, chiles and eggs, all stir-fried together, A stir-fry of the aforementioned ingredients, but with chicken in place of the more traditional shrimp, Where to Find Great Thai Food from Coast to Coast, An Aromatic Adventure: What to Eat in Hong Kong, Welcome to Salt Lake City: A Newcomer's Eating Tour.
if (needs_validate(input)) { I didn’t believe it until a Thai friend of mine ordered this dish, saying it was something she enjoyed eating at her home as a child. You’ll find there are all parts of the chicken and a few different marinades on grilled chicken available in Thailand.

}

Nam prik is normally eaten with fresh steamed vegetables of just on top of rice. If you’re a meat lover in Thailand, ka moo is a little gem that will surly make your mouth water. }; All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. Though you can find chicken, pork is the dominant protein source in Thailand, and it’s generally more widely available. Moo krob (crispy pork belly), slices of lungs, intestines, and blood jelly, are a few of the prized finds in any bowl of kuay jab!