WE’RE STILL OFFERING CURBSIDE AND DELIVERY OPTIONS FOR OUR … It did not disappoint. It seems only fair. The salsas are very flavorful with a nice kick. I'd rate the food at a 3 and to top it off the service is horrible. When you make it to Ultimo Taco, have your passport handy and (COVID-19 restrictions permitting) visit El Último Taco: Los Originales in Matamoros. 310 people like this. Open today until 9:00 PM. Until then, he’ll continue operating as he’s done for decades: not inspired by an abuelita’s recipes, but by going into every day at Ultimo Taco as if it were the taqueria’s first day. He purchased the restaurant, which at the time was in nearby Harlingen, in 1998, from a friend. The popular item has contributed to a 30 percent increase in revenue, giving Curiel confidence to take reopening slowly. Taco News Roundup: Dallas’s Taco Scene Is Booming, This Year, Our Family’s Día de los Muertos Altar Will Memorialize Those Who Have Died From the Coronavirus, In the Shadow of the Border Wall, Rio Grande Valley ‘Dragtivists’ Fight for Equality, A New Plano Company’s Business Model: Buying Snacks at Buc-ee’s, Then Shipping Them to Texpats Worldwide, Party of None: What I Miss About Restaurants, Recipe: Truth Barbeque’s Triple Chocolate Cake, Five Things You Didn’t Know About Texas Wine, Comfort Yourself With German Food Across Texas This Fall, Dining Guide: Highlights From Our November 2020 Issue, Texas Hits 1 Million COVID-19 Cases—More Than Any Other State, The List: The Top 50 Barbecue Joints in Texas, ExxonMobil’s Failure to Go Green Could Worsen Its Financial Future. Enter your email below to send a password reset email. El Ultimo Taco Truck. 938 N Expressway, Brownsville, TX 78521-1404. Trademark kerfuffle aside, everyone agrees that this local staple is legendary. Mexican $ (956) 554-7663. simmered in bacon, cilantro and other yummy stuff. Curiel, of course, frames it specifically. About See All. We rank these hotels, restaurants, and attractions by balancing reviews from our members with how close they are to this location. Marcela Araujo, daughter of Los Originales founder Jaime Araujo, says, “My father started his business as a street stall in 1982 and built it into a restaurant. But the taquero isn’t completely traditional. Would definitely go back. This is a very solid Taco place with limited options .. that is the charm. I highly recommend this place and will be back to try some of their other foods.More, Absolutely hands down the best taco option in Brownsville. Leave them blank to get signed up. Due to Covid-19, restaurant open hours and service may differ. Their menu is defiantly not a Tex-Mex menu, rather authentic Mexican appetizers, tacos and non-alcoholic beverages. And Brownsville diners were more familiar with both restaurants’ shared specialty: the taco Matamoros, which Araujo claims her father invented. How Did a Florida Man Become the Face of the Texas Republican Party? Our best recipes and favorite places to eat. InterContinental (IHG) Hotels in Brownsville, Hotels near Palo Alto Battlefield National Historical Park, Hotels near Resaca de la Palma State Park, Hotels near Children’s Museum of Brownsville, Hotels near Brownsville Museum of Fine Art, Hotels near Brownsville Convention & Visitors Bureau, Hotels near Brownsville Historic Battlefield Trail, Hotels near (BRO) South Padre Island Intl Airport, Asian Restaurants for Lunch in Brownsville, Chinese Restaurants for Lunch in Brownsville, Spanish Restaurants for Lunch in Brownsville, Restaurants for Group Dining in Brownsville. We will be back!!! Good salsas too! El ULTIMO! I had to stop in and give them a try after seeing on you tube they won best tacos in this taco cookoff in San Antonio. Taqueria, restaurante, Mexican food, en Houston. Sorry, we’re unable to find an account with that username and password. El Ultimo Taco Taqueria, Brownsville, Texas. Next comes the beef filling—choose from tripas, mollejas, barbacoa, or bistek. I saw this in Instragram by Houston foodies and had to go for a Taco Tuesday. We’ve put in years of hard work  … I never thought someone would copy the name.” They didn’t send cease-and-desist letters, she asserts; instead, they paid for ads in the. Taquería "El Ultimo Taco" Somos los Originales. Not aware of what we were ordering but tacos were ok Tostada was great. El Ultimo Taco. Not too greasy, filling is ample and flavorful. Curiel says he might reopen his dining room and adjoining patio when Governor Greg Abbott increases occupancy capacity to 50 percent. No frills place and the food is fantastic. Unsurprisingly, the owners of the Matamoros taco shop have a slightly different take. My meal before tip and tax was $7-$8.More, This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. I read the reviews of this place and TripAdvisor and decided to check it out. If you are an existing subscriber and haven't set up an account, please register for an online account. Can a Library Buy Its 130,000 DVDs and VHS Tapes? Two tacos and beans with a Mexican Coke filled me up entirely and, it was only $7.75! In April, Curiel released his version of Texas’s hottest taco trend: birria de res with and without cheese. This place has also gotten pretty bad/dangerous if you go during late hours. Tacos are small street tacos so order a few for smaller appetites and maybe 4-5 for larger ones. Taqueria El Ultimo Taco, Brownsville: See 95 unbiased reviews of Taqueria El Ultimo Taco, rated 4 of 5 on Tripadvisor and ranked #7 of 425 restaurants in Brownsville. DINE - IN IS NOW AVAILABLE! They had some pretty good reviews so I decided to have a late night supper lol! Emmanuel Acho on His New Book, ‘Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man’, In His Gripping Narrative Debut ‘Mogul Mowgli,’ a Houston-Bred Documentary Filmmaker Draws on Lineage and Legacy, BBQ News Roundup: Thanksgiving Tragedy at Greenberg Smoked Turkeys, Becky Hammon on the Spurs, the WNBA, and the Mural of Her Face in San Antonio, Calle Bustamante between Fifth and Sixth streets, Matamoros. squeezed like juice on them took them over the top. Closed. He already had sufficient capital to hire managers and servers laid off from other restaurants as delivery drivers while government orders required dining rooms to remain closed. El Ultimo Taco is most definitely five stars and worth trying. A definite treat....It is located on the north bound side of a frontage road of the freeway (I believe 77), and the turn-in is quick. But adding the grilled onions and fresh...squeezed like juice on them took them over the top. The Austrian American chef is an inspiration to Curiel. We’ll be back.More, This place is yummy! If you fill out the first name, last name, or agree to terms fields, you will NOT be added to the newsletter list. He knew El Ultimo Taco would do better in Brownsville, a city that favors family-owned spots. Great, inexpensive place to grab some delicious mexican food! Please check with the restaurant directly. We will be back!!!More. 4.8 out of 5 stars. Nevertheless, barbacoa, pastor, chorizo are all … According to Curiel, its disgruntled owner sent him cease-and-desist notices and threats of legal action in the early aughts. Proximity to the border also meant that Curiel’s El Ultimo Taco would be closer to the original and could capitalize on its popularity. Pintos beans...simmered in bacon, cilantro and other yummy stuff. El Ultimo Taco Taqueria « Back To Brownsville, TX. Teléfono: (868) 813-08-61 Calle Bustamante entre 5a y 6a Zona Centro H. Matamoros, Tamps. Paraphrasing a review that I read, it mentioned that the menu was small, but what they had on the menu, they do very well. Meanwhile, Curiel points out that he didn’t originally choose the name of his taqueria. Place was packed. As the Brownsville native explains over the phone, Mexican trademarks are unenforceable in the United States, and the founder of the original El Último in Matamoros neglected to trademark his restaurant’s name here. In April, Curiel released his version of Texas’s hottest taco trend: The popular item has contributed to a 30 percent increase in revenue, giving Curiel confidence to take reopening slowly. Highly recommend.More, A friend of mine from the Valley recommended El Ultimo Taco Taqueria. “If you don’t know Ultimo Taco, you don’t know Brownsville,” he says. As with all legit trucks, I try to get one of everything, but they didn't have everything (like cabeza or lengua).