Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. If there are dry crumbs, work in more cold water a teaspoon at a time. They should completely cover the top of the pie, forming a light and airy crust. Grate in the lemon zest, then pick and finely chop a few rosemary leaves and stir into the mixture. While the pastry case cools, peel and quarter the apples.Cut out the cores, then cut the apples into very thin slices. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/croustade-apple-tart 2. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden, then very loosely cover with a sheet of tin foil. Bake for 30 minutes. ”, Please enable targetting cookies to show this banner, Please enable functionality cookies to use this feature, Cooking Buddies: Kitchen hacks with Buddy, 1 kg apples , such as Golden Delicious or Chantecler, 100 ml armagnac, 55 g unsalted butter, 12 sheets of filo pastry (270g), 115 g caster sugar , plus extra for sprinkling, 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar or a few drops of vanilla extract, 1 lemon, 1 small sprig of fresh rosemary. Leave the excess pastry hanging over the rim. Brush a sheet of pastry with the butter and lay it over the bottom of the tin, draping the excess over the sides. In: Recipes, Sweets, Tarts/Pies, Your email address will not be published. Bake a sensational sweet treat with our top apple tart recipes. 3. Eat warm or at room temperature. 1. Oops! 7. Remove rice and parchment, and return to oven for another 5 minutes. Get our latest recipes, competitions and cookbook news straight to your inbox every week Roll the puff pastry out on a clean work surface to a large sheet, 3mm thick. I tweaked the filling by adding a touch of brandy to the puree, and cooked it off for a bit longer than it stated, but I followed the pastry to the letter and it was absolutely perfect, good and crisp, not too sweet. Place flour, salt, and sugar into the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. I’m wary of getting too prescriptive here because, as Bruno Loubet notes in his book Mange Tout, we grow a huge and fabulous array of apples in the UK, very few of which ever make it into the big shops, so I echo his plea “to try different British varieties … and support the great British apple”. Work in butter, then add the sugar and egg yolk. 6. Sprinkle over ½ teaspoon of sugar. Set the tin on a wire rack and quickly brush the top of the tart with apricot jam or glaze to give a glossy sheen. Set the flan tin on the heated baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes until the custard is just set when you jiggle the Get our latest recipes straight to your inbox every week. https://thepuretaste.com/classic-french-apple-tarte-tatin-recipe Although I am not loving the rain, I can say, I am thankful for cooler temps (they might not last long). Add the egg yolk and water and stir into the crumbs with a round-bladed knife to make a firm dough. Draw the overhanging ends lightly over the top of the pie and arrange them so they stick up as much as possible, like crumpled tissue paper. Joy + Oliver is very special to me and has allowed me to introduce you to not only my love for baking and entertaining, but my sweet family as well. For more information on our cookies and changing your settings, click, Get our latest recipes, competitions and cookbook news straight to your inbox every week, Get our latest recipes straight to your inbox every week, The Great British Bake Off: Big Book of Baking, about 1 tablespoon icy-cold water, to mix, Braeburn or Jazz apples (about 5 or 6 large apples), Somerset apple brandy or brandy OR 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, sieved apricot jam OR apricot glaze, warmed, fluted, deep, loose-based flan tin; a baking sheet. Make the pie dough and let it chill for 2 hours before using, Roll out the pie dough into 9″ round or 1/4 sheet pan (for rustic tart), refrigerate until ready to use, Prepare frangipane and spread a very thin layer on the bottom of the chilled unbaked tart shell, Peel the apples, cut them in half and remove seeds using a melon baller, Slice each apple half into thin slices keeping the half together and place on top of the frangipane, Sprinkle the apple slices with cinnamon sugar, Egg wash the dough and sprinkle with sliced almonds, Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes or until frangipane is light golden in color and baked through, Using a pastry brush, glaze the top of the apples with warmed apricot jam for a nice finishing touch (optional), Allow the tart to cool before removing from the pan and serving. Reduce oven temperature to 180 C / Gas 4. Slowly pour this mixture evenly over the apples, letting it seep through the layers. Allow it to cool slightly in the tin before transferring to a serving plate. I thought there would be too much puree, but it was correct, just be prepared to be bored of cutting apples Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe Add the egg, sugar and brandy (or vanilla) and mix well until smooth. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Line the case with greaseproof paper, fill with baking beans and bake blind in the heated oven for 12–15 minutes until the pastry is set and firm. Your email address will not be published. 5. Put the baking sheet into the oven to heat up, and reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Method. Carefully unmould the tart and leave to cool. Pour over the armagnac, cover and refrigerate overnight. Please try again. 7. Slowly add the chilled and cubed butter to the flour mixture and pulse in between each addition until it looks like course meal, Continue pulsing and add ice cold water at a slow stream and process until the dough comes together into a ball, Remove the dough from the food processor and place on a floured surface, Knead the dough until fully combined and reaches the perfect consistency (add flour if needed), Divide the dough in half and wrap each piece with plastic wrap and refrigerate for approximately 2 hours or overnight, Remove the dough and let it sit out for 20 minutes to slightly soften but the dough needs to remain cold, Roll out pie dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8” thick and place in pie pan of your choice. The brand-new official tie-in to the hit BBC1 series. Meanwhile, heat your oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5. Brush a second pastry sheet with butter and lay it at right angles to the first, then sprinkle with sugar.