To do this, cut triangles out at the corners just like you did to cover the front of the book. 1. It then came back out the center hole, and into the center hole in the next signature. Making a bound book the traditional way is a very involved process that requires a few special materials and a block of time. 3. To do this, open the journal up. Correct measurements should be about 6" x 9". If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Set it in the middle of your piece of fabric and grab your ruler, measuring 2" (5cm) more on each side. Liquid glue and hot glue work much better than a glue stick. Ah, Mod Podge. 1. Cut the holes - I took three sigs and lined them up square and clamped them together with the folded edge sitting about 1/4" proud of the clamping board. These measurements are also determined by the size of your journal. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. The measurements for the leather cover (Journal 1) are off: they only account for the folded size of the signatures. Learn more... Who wants a journal that looks just like everybody else's? This version is a it more involved in the cover construction, but the signature sewing is pretty similar. Then, center your opened journal on the fabric and apply glue along the exposed edges of the fabric. I first passed the thread through the bottom hole in the cover and into the bottom hole on the first signature. Or you can use a template (or your computer skills) to design your own pages and print them out. 2. You could take extra felt bits and make a pretty design that's sewed or glued on, You could use buttons or other small decorative items for flair, You could use glitter, ribbon, or other shiny, eye-catching additions. I loved it.". I dipped my toe into bookbinding a few years ago, and let me tell you: there's a lot to learn about it. I then stretched the fabric over and glued it to the back of the wood using CA glue. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. Your journal should be an expression of your creativity inside and out, so it's high time you make it truly yours. Here are my easy tricks to make the experience way better. This error message is only visible to WordPress admins. I then drilled small pilot holes to thread through on the drill press. Now it has a much more finished look to it than before. If it's not, you could wind up with a mess on your hands while finishing up. If you're using anything that needs to dry, make sure you give it adequate time to do so before you continue on. Do this for both pieces of cardboard – one for the front and one for the back. wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. If you really want to practice this craft project and you really don't have any other alternatives on hand, you could cut a piece of cardboard and fold it in half, like the covers of the book - one half will be the front and the other will be the back. You can glue the entire page to the signature page, or just put a bead of glue along the bottom and glue the first 1/4" of the page. ⇒⇒⇒WRITE-MY-PAPER.net ⇐⇐⇐ has really great writers to help you get the grades you need, they are fast and do great research. Make Your Own Pages . Support will always contact you if there is any confusion with the requirements of your paper so they can make sure you are getting exactly what you need. Boost your career: Improve your Zoom skills. I then used a razor knife to cut three small "v's" in the spines. You could even use iron-ons, ribbon, stencils, feathers, or scrapbook additions. It also adds some stability to the book, so use a bit higher weight paper if you have some. Paper 15 cm x 21cm is the perfect size for making an A5 journal but then again it's your choice because it's your journal.