Thanks for posting this nice DIY. Hello dear people, I'm looking for a way to build a sturdy loft bed frame without using too much or too expensive wood. Just not easy to assemble it. . 9 years ago The first when I was in HS with very long legs. While the construction is more affordable, customers give good scores on getting value from this brand. Give yourself plenty of room for assembly. See how it all works here. You are pulling against the mesh most of the time and the pieces do not line up well. I really like this bunk bed The only downfall is the ladder connection design it needs to be fixed. Do the same for the opposite side, then measure the length from that stud support bracket to the other support bracket on the other side and cut a 2x4 stud of that length. He has a small room so we were overjoyed when we found this loft with desk from IKEA at a reasonable price. Reply Everyone asks us where we bought this! Its metal frame had some mixed reviews when it came to ease of assembly. Nice job on this. To the author: add plywood to your supply list. The bed turned out to be extremely hard to build. A friend and I spent about 3 hours putting it together and it surprisingly wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Way to go. Can i add a color glaze over white wicker? The woodworking plans are straightforward so they are not complicated at all. Good product. It was our first IKEA assembly project---it was a little challenging due to our inexperience but we eventually figured it out! I just made this. An old metal bed frame donated its casters to make it easily movable. Then trace lines around where you want to install the 2x4 Stud support bracket and disassembly your platform bed so you can drill on screws better and hammer in some built in notch on the support bracket. The only complaint is that I spend 4 hours to assemble. Hello dear people, I'm looking for a way to build a sturdy loft bed frame without using too much or too expensive wood. We used a thicker mattress because my son could feel the "slats" through the thinner one. Good quality and the perfect height for my 9 year old. Whoever made the manual for this bed should be fired. Still didn’t receive product but so far so good. Versus other large furniture retailers, their loft bed selection is somewhat smaller with mostly metal options or painted wood versions that contain a desk. It's a great option for smaller rooms, and the height is a good fit for those children in between without being as high as some other loft beds. For one, plenty of space below the mattress for storage, studying, or entertainment. The netting for this bunk bed is absolute garbage. What we thought would take a simple 30 minutes to assemble this otherwise simple frame, took nearly 4 hours of frustration & tired fingers trying to stretch the mesh without tearing it to fit. The 2nd thing is that the wood is not smooth. We can’t sand it since we got the espresso color so hopefully we’ll be able to find some sort of clear coat to use....Read More. It was a real confidence builder, and I'm PSYCHED to move on to some nicer lumber and more complex projects! I believe it took me 5-7 hours to complete, I had the help of one adult, 2 teenagers, and a child - all patient, willing participants. A few other random notes: 1. I found 2x4s for free at my dad's work. Get The Best November 2020 Online Loft Bed Deals! This site's sole purpose is to make the decision making process faster and more efficient. And it seemed to be for smaller kids. I'll be using 2 X 12's, sitting directly on the floor (no casters, no legs extending below the 2 X 12's. It did take 2 people to put together but that's exactly what the directions recommended. This site's sole purpose is to make the decision making process faster and more efficient. It's made of steel... it's super sturdy once you put it together. There's a popular quote in carpentry that goes as "Measure twice, Cut once". If I had to do it over, I would have spent $50 more to buy the other metal loft bed sold by IKEA. It’s a super cute bed and if the room is small it definitely helps with space. This bed was a NIGHTMARE to put together. We have tall ceilings and it the height works great in his small room with ceiling fan. We love it. However, those brands that you may want to think twice about include those without transparent customer reviews or with complaints about returns. I just finished building this loft . SHOP NOW. My daughter has it now, but may give it to son in a couple years! New bed! But every time you try the rail is just infinitesimally too low. Overall, customers have described sturdy loft beds, but there were some that described difficult assembly and some issues with squeakiness for some models. I used this as a basis for my design. The instructions are very clear, and my husband was able to assemble two of them in under five hours. 'Crazy train': GOP lawmaker rips Trump's fraud claims, Denzel Washington 'safe' after smoke call at home, Yang dismayed by Asian American reaction to Trump, Senator's 'tone deaf' tweet on Lakers, Dodgers slammed, AOC calls Biden's new chief of staff a 'unifying pick', COVID-19 vaccine may have unpleasant side effects, Disney CEO 'extremely disappointed' in Calif. leaders, CDC outlines which masks are most effective, Jack Nicklaus won't talk Trump at Augusta National, Short lockdown could halt virus spike: Biden adviser, Nancy Pelosi calls on Republicans to 'stop the circus'. I had been planning to build loft beds for my two children and had done research into options, etc. If anyone was able to do this on their own....kudo's to you. Next, here is what's inside their Storå Loft Bed: The Storå loft bed is quite tall at just over 84'' tall. Great job. It is sturdy, and made with quality materials. All of the pieces look almost exactly alike. It took us longer than expected to put it together. More info. Like all things you read on the Internet, understand there is no better judge than yourself. Nice bed aside from missing peices. We are experienced IKEA customers. Our kitchen is by IKEA. You will need: Materials Needed: 3 - 2x6 Boards 10' feet long 1 - 4x4 Post 32" inches to 40" inches long 1- 2x4 Stud 12 - Hex Bolts 3/8 by 6" inches long 12 - Hex 3/8 Nuts 24 - Cut Washers for 3/8 Bolts 1 - 2x4 Stud framing support bracket (pictured) 8 - Screws; 1 1/2" inches Tools Needed: Carpenter Square Tape Measure Miter Saw (Recommended) Electric Drill with Phillips Drill Bit Long 3/8 Drill bit (6" inches or over) 1- 9/16 Socket Wrench 1- 9/16 Wrench Wood Glue. The wooden versions offer more rustic and artisinal styles with more options than other materials. We have had a couple of king-sized waterbeds over the years and each time the waterbed went out the door, I made sure the wood frame stayed in a corner of the garage so I will be using those 2x8 in my construction. If you use cross-bracing or plywood to hold the angles at 90 degrees, it will be stable. This post has some helpful hints as you go about building the bed: http://www.hometalk.com/2192965/how-to-make-a-diy-wood-frame-bed-from-a-first-time-furniture-builder. You definitely need to have somebody help you, and you have to NOT tighten everything down as you go. Seems pretty sturdy. We totally love the design and works well for my 9 year old son and he loves it a lot as well. The list of tools, lumber, cuts, and materials you need are listed on the website, as well as very detailed, color-coded images and … The ladder rungs are too narrow (uncomfortable on feet) so we wrapped soft rope around rungs and this helps a lot. Draw a line 3" inches from the edge because you will be drilling 3" away from the edge into center of the leg. I'm so happy we finally bought this. Here are 14 ways to make your loft bed dreamy. You try roughly seventy-four different ways of getting THAT SCREW to go horizontally through that post and into the end of that rail. 2021-2022 Slumber Search $1,000 Scholarship. He loves his new bed with his own space/desk. Why pay for more wood??? Once glued with the running support rails(1x2) they turn quite strong. Then with just the ladder, I wiggled it left and right. When it comes to assembly, although it's not difficult to understand how to put the pieces together, it took two of us about 2 hours to put it together. Once the bed is partially assembled, you have to tip it on it's side to assemble it further, so you will need a large amount of floor space to lay this tall loft bed on it's side. It'll be off by 1 1/2" inches (thickness of my 2x6). I'm happy with how it turned out. build a sturdy loft bed from scrap lumber for less than 20 dollars. I lowered the inside frame so that the mattress sits 1 inch below the top of the 2x6. See previous picture #2. I already thought of making the base like the way you make non-load bearing walls, but I'm afraid it will one day collapse at the least movement. Our 7 year old daughter LOVES it! DO NOT BUY THIS OR I PROMISE YOU DESTROY IT AND PUT IT IN THE GARBAGE! We are not doctors -- if you have a medical condition, please consult your doctor.The makers of Slumber Search also make affiliate commissions from some of these manufacturers to keep the site running. The only real problem with this is the assembly. Reply Not a creak. My sister and I each purchased this bed yesterday to fit in our shared room. That said, there were some customer complaints around the ease of set up in some cases. This is done in advance to secure support beams/boards (plywood or wood strips) at the end of the project. The downside is the assembly. The other mesh were the mattress goes the screws didn’t aligned with the holes . We are very impressed at how solid it is. Assembly was easy too. Kids love them still. During winter when I first turn on my heater, I smell something burning. Slumber Search is supported by readers. Ladder steps...wish were wider. Very good product. How to Build a Loft Bed- DIY Tutorial and Plans- Space Efficient and Frugal. If I were to give it a definition, it would mean a gentle bend in laminated wood (think lyre like the harp). IF I lived closer to Ikea i would have returned the bed. Following instructions is crucial, but it’s still difficult to assemble bottom of the bed and netting around it. This time the edges of the leg and board will not even up. Had to take one piece back to the store to have them fix the drill holes because "welding flash got into the holes. I lowered the inside frame so that the mattress sits 1 inch below the top of the 2x6. The only minor difficulty is getting up the ladder; however, it isn't a big deal. I set mine to 74 degrees.? 2. With your "avoid line" and by the 3" inch mark, drill a hole and insert a bolt between 1 1/4" to 1 1/2"inches from the top and another one 1 1/3" to 2" inches from the bottom. Was 1 inch good enough or you would rather make it 2-3 inches below? Submitted by jeff in boston on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 06:40. These beds, at around a hundred dollars each, met all my criteria and were made of metal to boot.