In a large saucepan over high heat, bring water to a boil. I live in Dublin, Ireland with my wife and daughter. 1. Once you have the fermentation process down, experiment with making alcohol at home by using a different source of sugar. So expect the ABV to finish lower than 6.5%. You will not find any written advice as to what the recommended pitching temperature is for bakers’ yeast. The options are limited and if you take out the possibility of using wild yeast (Saccharomyces exiguous), that only leaves baker’s yeast or bread yeast (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae). EDIT to add: Here is a wonderful video demonstrating how easy and simple it can be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8sVCfGTTjA. However, since baker’s yeast imparts flavours more suitable to bread; I would say pitch more and get the fermentation over asap. Try apple and make cider. Brewers yeast likes PH levels to be around 5.6; I imagine bakers yeast would be roughly the same. The only challenging part is that it’s time consuming, but the surprising results of homemade liquor and its taste are certainly worth the effort you put in.How to Make Alcohol at Home, Homemade alcohol only needs two important ingredients. Most any kind of yeast will ferment most all sugars. After that they just left it to ferment in their warehouse for 2-3 days. Wild yeast is found naturally on fruit and just about all naturally grown products will have a chance of having wild yeast attached to it, this has to be removed either through boiling or disinfected with no-rinse disinfectant. 8. You've only seen one page. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. As myself and several others have already said immediately, orange is NOT your first choice of juice nor fruit. If you are using a sugar source that is not 100% fermentable then I would expect the final gravity to be a little lower. This is unchartered territory with baker’s yeast but if it behaves like normal yeast, it stops when there are no sugars left to ferment and kicks off again when it is introduced to more sugar. This won’t affect the homemade alcohol’s overall taste and quality.Homemade Alcohol Variations. The rule of thumb is for every 2 pounds of sugar, you add at least 1 gallon of water and 5 teaspoons of dry yeast. link to Homebrew Vs Craft Beer - A Final Look at Cost. Both of us have been brewing beer at home for many years now. The key to making a nice tasting beverage is using the appropriate yeast for whatever kind of drink you are planning to make. Try to ferment at the lower end of the recommended temperature. 6. It's probably a very authentic prison hooch. Leftover bread and bread crusts are too good to be thrown away. The process of making alcohol from sugar and baking yeast starts off slowly as the yeast gets used to the new environment and grows. I’m taking this to mean that you have some bread yeast - not that you’d use bread. More suger = greater alcohol content insofar as there's more sugar to convert to ethanol, however different yeasts have different alcohol tolerences. Also, orange juice is pretty horrible, go 100% apple. Anywhere between 4-6% would be good. 4. This is another area you will have to experiment with. Ingredients: 12 pounds sugar 6 gallons water 10 tablespoons baking yeast. Considering what you are planning on fermenting, it won't make the taste any worse (assuming that it could be). Store the jug in a dark, warm room for the duration of the fermentation process. I know i might be a little late, but if you want high abv hooch, nutrients can be really important. Various teas and a mixture of herbs and flora have been used in the past, just make sure all your ingredients are clean fresh and that all possible contamination has been eliminated. If you answered with a resounding yes, you’ve come across the right article. I also read that adding some sugar could help the alcohol content, and I never found what a good temperature would be, just “warm”. 2-3 days is really short, I'd give it few weeks, not days. If I were to describe it, I would say it imparts an expected bready yeasty flavour. This crucial step helps prevent unwanted bacteria from contaminating your homemade alcohol recipe. myheraldmagazine.com is an online news portal which aims to share latest trendy news about Celebrities, Entertainment, Gossip and Lifestyle. You will end up with less than 1/3 of a gallon of homemade liquor with an almost 40 percent alcohol content. Alcohol and CO2 are the by-product of this activity. 9. I would not recommend that any beginners use that video as a guide. For those reasons using bakers’ yeast will require some educated guesses and perhaps a bit of trial and error. 4000 years ago, the sumerians prepared beer from barley bread. Bakers yeast will work fine so long as you provide it with an environment it can thrive in. So, a clean sugar source that is highly fermentable would be preferred. taking a 1L-ish bottle of a high sugar juice, adding some teaspoons of bread yeast, This will workfine, but don't use orange juice as it'll be crazy acidic! New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the prisonhooch community. I wake up everyday and go to work and make booze for a living. This is the most popular form of bread yeast and is what most people think of when they think of bread yeast. We have lots more on the site to show you. Add the baking yeast and stir well to combine. When it shows no activity or when you have got the same hydrometer reading two days in a row then it is done. Shake the jug to give off excess carbon dioxide for 45 to 60 seconds twice a day without removing the airlock. I would recommend that you activate the yeast by putting it in a bowl of warm water for 15-20 minutes before adding to your brew. If you use too much raw sugar it can result in unpleasant flavours being introduced. As you may know, if you have read the article “What is the Difference Between Brewer’s Yeast and Baker’s Yeast”, Bread yeast is derived from the same type of yeast brewers use to make wine, cider, ales and, stouts (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae). So would any of you have any tips for boosting the alcohol content, and ensuring that the juice doesn’t go bad while it sits? The cold should have the effect of causing most particles to drop to the bottom of your fermenter. The reason for this is that bakers yeast has a low tolerance to alcohol if it is in a solution that is over 8% alcohol it will struggle and eventually drop out. To make sure that bakers yeast will produce alcohol I did a little experiment which I document in the article.