Louisa xx. Use a spoon to combine the icing sugar and the cream cheese frosting. I have read and agree to Food Storage Mom's privacy policy, I’m Linda Loosli. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that blocks of cream cheese become available in the UK eventually, in the meantime, I developed this method which helps you to achieve really stiff, thick cream cheese frosting. Problems with your cream cheese frosting? Next, take a whisk and whisk the butter thoroughly – at first it will be very lumpy as there are still some bits of unmelted butter. HI KERRY, LOVE THIS RECIPE AND HAVE USED IT FOR A HANDFUL OF YEARS NOW. Added just 1/4 cup of whole milk. If your kitchen is warmer, or your dessert has been out for a while, refrigerate it. Made this in a jiff for my pumpkin spice cake. You should try this recipe on my cinnamon rolls: Linda’s Cinnamon Rolls. I thank you from the bottom of my heart! This is silly, but here I am holding the bowl with cream cheese frosting over my head so you can see how thick it is! Occasionally, like with this one, some other bits will be added in… but those are the basics. Cream Cheese frosting, in case you weren’t aware, is a mixture of Butter, Sugar, and Cream Cheese. Does it need to be refrigerated? Brilliant mystery solved, finally a cream cheese icing recipe that works, thank you. Now, switch from the whisk to a wooden spoon. Well, for starters, the method is unusual – it actually involves MELTING your butter before you start, as well as draining all of the excess water out of the cream cheese using a muslin or tea towel. We have a confession to make: Our 10-minute recipe for finger-lickin' cream cheese frosting is way better than Mom used to make. This frosting is the best! Thank you for leading me in the right direction. Your email address will not be published. Best Cream Cheese Frosting: Here are the only ingredients you need….butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. What we have here in the UK is soft cream cheese that is easily spreadable, similar to the difference between butter and margarine – one is very easy to spread. Cream cheese frosting is a baking classic! Yellowy? Hi Linda, can you tell me how much of each ingredient? Thank you so much!! Divine!). IMPORTANT NOTE – This recipe works for me and my readers 90% of the time, but it occasionally (maybe due to humidity or other factors) doesn’t work and becomes runny. Lazy of me, I know. Just made your rainbow Made your rainbow cupcakes and about to bake them. I also ended up using less icing sugar as a result, using only 500g. Did you know you can save this recipe and order the ingredients for. I love this recipe because I can freeze a few batches of cream cheese frosting in small plastic containers. This recipe makes enough frosting to frost one single layer round cake, a 9x13 quarter sheet cake, or 12-18 cupcakes. 1 Beat the cream cheese and butter together: Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together until completely smooth, about 3 minutes on medium speed. All photos and content are copyright protected. Linda, Your email address will not be published. It may require more powdered sugar than you'd think, so be patient. However, I’ve tried it today with a few alterations and it’s much better! Met you at SNAP and I’m just now going through my business cards…whoops! Hiya! Read more about our affiliate linking policy. . So I don’t know how much icing sugar I use. Thanks!!! I changed it a little By adding 500g of Philadelphia cream cheese to 100g of butter. To frost a double layer cake, use 3/4 cup butter, 12 ounces cream cheese, 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract. I moved over 3000 recipes to my new recipe card program, whew! And of course refrigerate any unused frosting (it freezes beautifully, in fact). I also didn’t microwave the butter, I only used room-temp butter. Hi Roxanne, oh my gosh, thank you for telling me!! Thank you Kerry for the cream cheese tips. I use clear vanilla to keep my frosting white. It’s perfect for practically any cake and any leftovers are great dolloped onto some freshly cut fruit. Using the wooden spoon, gently fold the icing sugar in slowly. Lumpy cream cheese frosting is a common problem, and it can happen when lumps of unmelted / unincorporated butter hang about in the frosting. Trust me…you won’t regret it! Hi Amy, Jana. Here are the only ingredients you need….butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. If you DO realise at the end that the frosting has lumps of butter in it (if you squish them between your fingers, they will be yellow), you CAN as a last resort microwave the frosting for short bursts (10 seconds) and whisk thoroughly after each burst. Refrigerate leftover cream cheese frosting in a tightly covered container for up to one week. Yumm! /: Smooth and delicious. Hi! I also love using cream cheese frosting to decorate cupcakes – I find normal buttercream (with just icing sugar and butter) to be too sickly, but the cream cheese in this frosting stops it from being too sweet. Sorry, our subscription service is unavailable. Required fields are marked *. My new website will be done at the end of the month. Past clients also include numerous food companies, wineries, and distilleries. Give it a go and see what happens. Hope you’ll check out my site! Too runny, lumpy, or yellow? 3 Spread or pipe the frosting to decorate: Use a blunt knife or spatula to spread the frosting, or spoon the frosting into a piping bag to decorate your cupcake or cake. If the frosting are thick and tastes delicious, it’s FINE! The other thing that can cause lumps is the icing sugar – you must sieve the sugar, as otherwise errant lumps can make your frosting lumpy. Cream the butter with the cream cheese and slowly add the powdered sugar to the thickness you desire. And it’s way too sweet, and lost the cream cheese taste, more like buttercream.Will add more cream cheese when I come to use the batch from the freezer. Read on for the answers to all your cream cheese frosting problems, and beautifully thick, white and delicious frosting!