I made this for lunch today! https://tasty.co/recipe/lentils-and-rice-with-caramelized-onions This dish can also be made with boneless chicken and that will cut the cooking time in half. The Pomegranate seeds really elevate it (I used one and a half poms) and lots of fresh parsley. Now, what should I do with the leftover cauliflower rice? Whichever way you go, adjust cooking time or add a little water as needed. We’re so glad you enjoyed it, Christa! Scrumptious! You will not be subscribed to our newsletter list. paired well with hummus! I made this last night with frozen cauliflower rice. We’re so glad you enjoyed it, Eniko! I can’t eat any grains (no rice, or wheat, etc), and I am wondering how to fry the onions! Loved this because it was something new to our weekly feeds. Bake in a 400 degree F (204 C) oven for 7-10 minutes (stirring occasionally for even cooking) or until the onions are crispy and golden brown (be careful not to burn them). Have a question? We’re so glad you enjoyed it! Also, red lentils give the curry a nice creamy texture. The spices can range in simplicity from just salt, pepper, and cumin to more complex flavors like cinnamon, lemon peel, and cayenne pepper. It’s super helpful for us and other readers. Thai Red Curry Paste & Red Lentils. We wonder if arrowroot might be another option! Thanks so much for the lovely review, Cathie. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. The curry powder is added later to better coat the cauliflower rice! It’s made with cauliflower rice instead of rice to keep it grain-free. And while I did use riced cauliflower, I also made a side of basmati rice, because, well, I’m a rice-a-holic. We include optional dates at the end for a bit of sweet to balance out the salt. ... Divide the red lentil curry into bowls and serve with jasmine rice, basmati rice, or brown rice. Perhaps but we haven’t tried it! Perhaps garlic? To keep this recipe grain-free we opted to toss our shallots in chickpea flour and salt and use cauliflower rice instead of rice. Will definitely fix this again. It tastes like it’s missing something. :). Then reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are just tender with a very slight bite — about 15-20 minutes. It’s also very easy to make and I got cauliflower rice on sale! Want to do something different on the side burner for this weekend’s barbecue? For the most flavorful broth, bone-in is the way to go. Get our copy of FAN FAVORITES featuring 20 of our most loved, highly-rated recipes! Warm we, Potato and Leeks Stew with Sausage and Lentils, The Belated Guide to Thanksgiving!⁠ I added 2 Tablespoons of curry powder as the flavor needed more than one to come through. Hmm, it shouldn’t! Remove half of the shallot from the pan and set aside for later use. Repeat as needed, adding more oil and shallots to the pan until all are cooked. For the most flavorful broth, bone-in is the way to go. Remove lentils from heat but don’t drain yet. Will be part of the regular rotation! Click to learn more about us. absolutely wonderfull . The dates are a MUST. Add curry powder and drained tomato to pan and saute until fragrant⁠, Add rice and beans/lentils to pan. I’m going to add a few cloves of lightly sautéed minced garlic next time to sauté the cauliflower. Firs, Rosemary Double-Split Wings with Root Vegetabl, Chicken Enchilada with Beet Sauce⁠ Replace the lid, and continue to cook on medium-low for another 30-35 minutes until the chicken is done and the potatoes are fork tender. For example, as far as I can tell this recipe is totally vegan, but I noticed a lot of them that are have “vegan” or “plant based” in the title, where this one doesn’t. Thanks for sharing, Martin! While the sauce is cooking, remove the skin from the chicken breasts, and cut each piece into chunks. Cheers, friends. The flavors are wonderful and the dish is warming and comforting. Sauté with curry powder and cumin seed, the cooked lentils, and half of the crispy shallot, reserving the remaining shallot for serving! Great recipe will definitely make again. Not sure if I would have liked that better or not. Let us know how it goes! Saute over medium-high heat until the onions are translucent. This delicious rice dish is so satisfying with mild spices, that will definitely complete the meal even for the pickiest eaters!⁠. Check out this tutorial! Note that whole lentils like brown and green lentils will hold their shape well. Try this easy spiced tomato curry rice with lentils and you will get an exotic side dish in no time!⁠, I used a mix of white basmati and purple/black rice, Heat frying pan with cooking oil. Easy to make Made this and it did taste really good. Thanks so much for sharing! I used (affiliate link) basmati rice mixed with black rice here as it gives an aromatic flavor that pairs well with curry taste. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. This would make the perfect dish for when you’re craving quick comfort. I used frozen riced cauliflower, simply sautéed a onion instead of the crispy shallots. Thanks for the feedback, Jennifer! Best when fresh, though leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator up to 2-3 days and be reheated on the stovetop over medium heat until hot. xo. Mujadara is a satisfying vegetarian dish with Middle Eastern and Arab influences. Can powdered cumin and coriander be used ? Try this easy spiced tomato curry rice with lentils and you will get an exotic side to go with your grilled goodies in no time!⁠⁠On a wonderful weekend barbecue, you would want to focus on your grilled main courses. Also used dried cranberries in place of the dates. The curry is great with my scallion pancakes too! Your email address will not be published. Thanks for sharing, Stewart! I usually cut them crosswise into three large pieces, then cut each piece again, through the middle. The dates are definitely not optional, in my opinion, since they add a lot to the flavor of the dish. Would you mind adding a rating to your review next time? For quick cooking, or more precisely reheating, leftover lentils or canned beans are the best for this recipe. I mixed lentils, cauliflower rice and cooked basmati rice ( keeps me full for longer ;) and used sultanas instead of dates. Ah, thanks for sharing, Ava! It tasted amazing however it was like mush. Yum! Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat. Add a few Tbsp (~45 ml) of the reserved lentil vegetable broth at a time until the cauliflower rice appears moistened. Customizable & Incredibly delicious. Love all your recipes and the accompanying videos! Add onions and fennel seed. So glad you enjoyed it. Overall, I plan to make it again! Quick and healthy and lots of flavor! But you could add it earlier, too. Add rinsed and drained lentils to a small saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Add rinsed and drained lentils to a small saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. It’s super helpful! Add dates (optional) at this time and stir again to combine. A satisfying, affordable, flavorful side dish or main. This dish looks amazing. Xo, Hi, I’m Lebanese and we make mujadara all the time. Lastly, I followed the tip of a few of the commenters and decided to keep the shallots totally separate during the cooking process, so that the wouldn’t be drowned out by the strong spices. I love the crispy shallots. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Required fields are marked *. Cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes to let the flavors combine. Sauté until crispy and brown, stirring frequently — about 4-5 minutes. Simply, the onions/shallots need to be close to burnt (very dark brown almost black lol) Dont let this intimidate you because it provides a lot of deep and rich flavour to the dish. xo. I do love the texture. Stay tuned! Vegan Chili and Cornbread Night⁠ Hello! Thanks so much for sharing, Holly! You may use either tomato paste or strained tomato for this recipe. I added some green beans (to use them up) and the dates. This was SO delicious !! Thank you for all your hard work and effort, it truly makes our lives much easier. Tag @minimalistbaker on Instagram and hashtag it #minimalistbaker so we can see all the deliciousness! Every purchase made through the link would mean a percentage of income for us. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Think cooked lentils, not raw. ; Heat the oil in a skillet (photo 2) and cook the garlic, onion, and ginger with the cayenne flakes over medium-high heat until golden brown (photo 3), stirring occasionally. So yummy! Continue sautéing over medium heat uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 4-5 minutes, or until cauliflower rice is tender and golden brown. You can find the baking instructions in the recipe notes! *If using canned lentils, simply rinse 1 15 oz (425g) can of lentils, drain, and set aside. If you’re wondering what to pair it with, we’ve got you covered. ⁠ Cook the lentils according to package directions (photo 1). Amazing flavor. I followed it except that I didn’t add the dates. I made this and it was delicious but for the fact that I think I put too much curry powder and it tasted bitter. Excellent recipe and nice change from regular curried cauliflower rice. I think I’ll serve a warm naan with it next time. (It’s on weekly rotation) My only comments are I wonder why the curry powder isn’t added at the time as the other spices to cook it. Thanks so much! Our FREE 49-Page Fan Favorites e-Book has 20 recipes we think you’ll LOVE! If you don't have a knife sharp enough to do this, ask your butcher to help out with this step. These cookies do not store any personal information. Much like Italian food, curry becomes even more flavorful as it sits, making leftovers a dream. Set a fine mesh strainer or colander over a mixing bowl and strain the lentils, Next, using a fine box grater or the grater attachment on your. Will be making again! Looks divine! HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE – RICECOOKER ONE-POT MEAL! We’ll give it another look to see if we can boost the flavor somewhere :D. How could this be adapted to use frozen riced cauliflower? We are so glad you enjoyed it! Satisfying It’s not traditional and rather inspired by the concept! Hmm, if it tasted bitter you could try compensating by adding more cauliflower rice, salt, and more dates. Just wanted to share a suggestion that if you are pan sauteing the shallots/onions the way to get them crispy is that they need to be fried long enough, traditionally mujadara is not served with soft onion.