And what are you going to eat for lunch? And after 60 years of being a ruminator, it’s an amazing thing. When he lost his voice, Lawson had to be his translator to the world. I’ve enjoyed hugging this secret project to myself over the past several months, but it is a deep pleasure, too, to share it with you. “Nigella has a very maternal spirit, but she’s both mother and child: you want to take care of her,” says the journalist Fiona Golfar, her best friend of 40 years. “I think it became a pattern. “You know, if you knock something over it will be difficult, and I’m clumsy… ” Her mother liked to cook, but didn’t really allow herself to eat what she liked until she was dying, at the age of 48, from liver cancer. But Nigella Lawson’s aptly titled and timed new book, Cook, Eat, Repeat, revels in the repetitiveness of the kitchen, of cooking something familiar and well-loved, and of the routines that creating something to eat involves. “Well, it’s a bit of a Jewish thing, isn’t it?” she says quietly, knowing we are both Jewish. Lawson wasn’t on trial, although it was easy to forget that, as both the Grillo sisters and Saatchi gave lurid testimonies about her on the stand. I am thrilled to announce my new book, COOK EAT REPEAT, which is to be published this October. Years later, no matter how bad things got in adulthood, she knew they would improve, because “nothing could be as bad as childhood”. I didn’t have an eating disorder, but I really hated family mealtimes. “That’s the point of life, isn’t it? I have a Vegemite sandwich if you want it,” she asks, returning to Mark. When people say, ‘How is so-and-so coping?’ I always think, ‘How do you feel they’re coping? She’s embraced a solo lockdown, and is back with a new book (and TV show) of signature comfort food. “Various things that I can’t… I don’t think any of us [siblings] would regard it as a childhood we would want to return to.” In a 2012 interview, she said her mother would shout at the children, “I’m going to hit you until you cry.” “She just didn’t like me,” Lawson told Simon Schama, “maybe because I came after Dominic the princeling and I was my father’s girl, she was jealous, I don’t know.”. Few know better than her the importance of controlling your environment when you can’t control anything else. “I’m not going to answer that!” Most pleasing to her, she’s stopped being “a ruminator”. Also, she is funny, an underrated quality in cookbooks. And I should tell that a limited number of signed copies are available through this link. But now I think, maybe it’s fortunate to be the way I am.” she says. Like the whole of Britain, I had followed the Grillos’ trial, and in particular the photos of Lawson arriving at it every day: hair blow-dried to perfection, chin always up; she looked gloriously defiant, even as she went through what was obviously a horrific ordeal. “He was her gregarious side and she was his calm, and then those roles had to switch,” McErlane says. “I think it’s about keeping a bit of yourself there.” When she divorced Saatchi, she asked for no money, only the contents of the kitchen. Built by Embark. Nigella’s Cook, Eat, Repeat will be on BBC Two and BBC iPlayer in November. She doesn’t worry so much about how she looks and now often wears jumpsuits, even though they are, she says (wrongly), “very unflattering on me. So much of her personal life has been played out in public, from her parents ensuring everyone would know who her famous father is whenever she introduced herself; to her first husband, John Diamond, charting the last years of his life with her and their two small children, Cosima and Bruno, before he died of throat cancer at the age of 47; to her second marriage to Charles Saatchi, which ended in a brutally public manner in 2013, when Saatchi was photographed grabbing her by the throat and holding her nose outside the London restaurant Scott’s. I’ve enjoyed hugging this secret project to myself over the past several months, but it is a deep pleasure, too, to share it with you. Books. David M. BenettGetty Images Exciting news for Nigella Lawson fans, the celebrity chef has announced she's releasing a new cookbook in 2020. “I know, and I used to feel, what a luxury, to not cope on the outside. The losses she has endured in adulthood verge on the gothic. On top of any natural shyness, Lawson was clearly, it seemed, traumatised by the court case. “With John, you used to see her at dinner parties and things. Buy the book Amazon Waterstones. But sometimes people don’t cope on the outside, either. “It was hard. Lawson recently recorded the audiobook for How To Eat, to mark its 20th anniversary, returning to many little references to her home life with Diamond, and found it “incredibly exhausting, all the quick denial and blocking of emotions. Published on 15 October 2020. Nigella Lawson: ‘I didn't think I’d be a mended person, but I am’, Nigella Lawson’s new book, Cook, Eat, Repeat, grabbing her by the throat and holding her nose. Sat 10 Oct 2020 03.00 EDT 383 Nigella Lawson – Britain’s only true “surname unnecessary” global celebrity since Princess Diana – is feeding everyone. Asked to give evidence, Lawson admitted that she had used drugs in order to make “an intolerable situation bearable”, describing her former husband of almost a decade as “a brilliant but brutal man” who had subjected her to “intimate terrorism”. The jury found the Grillos not guilty, but as the two women (rightly) said afterwards: “We have won the court case but definitely [Lawson] had the most support from the public.”. To this day, she often imagines she’s telling Thomasina her recipes when she’s writing her books. “Believe me, I spent a lot of time under a duvet. Her father was a journalist then, and her mother, Vanessa Salmon, an heiress. Would she have believed back then that she’d be happy in six years’ time? But I’m very happy not having to fill up my life going to things. It’s so hard to pick out just a few recipes, but let me tell you some of my favourites that are in COOK EAT REPEAT are my Burnt Onion and Aubergine Dip, Wide Noodles with Lamb Shank in Aromatic Broth, Brown Butter Colcannon, Spaghetti with Chard, Chilli and Anchovies, Beef Cheeks with Port and Chestnuts, Butternut Squash with a Chilli Ginger and Beetroot Yogurt Sauce and - not forgetting the desserts - Rhubarb and Custard Trifle, Rice Pudding Cake, Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake and Cherry and Almond Crumble. She zeroes in on me: “Have you had lunch?” I say I had some matzos and hummus earlier, and tell her my theory that matzos is the perfect lunchtime carbohydrate because it doesn’t make you tired.