When you’re out on deck or on a tour, putting your gloves on and off to take a photo or post to social is a real pain. 1 Deciding What to Wear on an Alaskan Cruise; 2 Tips for Packing for an Alaskan Cruise at a Glance; 3 What to Pack for Alaska Cruise. We use and like Keen Sandals, Crocs waterproof shoes and Merrell hiking shoes. Great tips! I’m so glad to have you along on the journey to experience your best low key adventure in Washington, Alaska and Western Canada! And that’s my packing list. HOT TIP: Visit Alaska in the Spring!! Packing Smart and Traveling Light; Rick’s Packing List; Packing List for Women; Packing Tips: Clothes; Tips for Choosing the Best Travel Bag; Electric Europe: Adapters and Converters ; Clearing Customs on the Way Home; Hauling Home Heavenly Wines; About Us. This unisex RFID blocking concealed travel pouch is lightweight and available in several colors. You can get a pretty inexpensive one at Target or Walmart. Hi! Summer clothing: Unless you prefer last-minute local shopping (visit Big Ray's, or Hoarding Marmot), pack shorts and short sleeve shirts. It’s the most versatile of anything I’ve packed. We cruised in late August, and it was pretty cool, windy, and rainy the entire time. I wear a 9 1/2 shoe. Even if you are a pro at packing for a Caribbean cruise, an Alaska cruise is a different experience and you may have trouble deciding what to pack. Now here is a photo of my carry-on backpack with all of the stuff in the photo above packed inside. Why pack a mug for an Alaska cruise? Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. I didn’t have any rubber boots when I arrived at Juneau. Sorry. Focus on Denali & Kenai Fjords. All it does is have an alarm and show the time. Halfway through the cruise, I realized I didn’t know what to pack. At no additional cost to you, as an Amazon Associate I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. On your trip you'll meet two kinds of travelers: those who pack light and those who wish they had. Travel Tips: Packing Light. Locals joke that the bugs will be able to carry you away. Those brown rubber boots with the light colored trim on the edges. It’s simple and sweet and you can add or subtract layers as needed. I usually buy this on the ship and have a souvenir at the same time. If you don’t have one and can afford it, buy one. The most intimate multi-day cruise option. Recent Alaskan summers have been hot and sunny. Same as the above. My XtraTufs are a Women’s 10. And…so you don’t have to constantly take them on and off to take photos with your iPhone or Android, I really suggest device-enabled gloves. We recommend always packing at least 3 extra batteries. It also shows the Scottevest jacket with the flashlight, tablet and headphones. I lived in Alaska for seven years in Fairbanks (dry, extreme cold in winter and super hot in summer) and Skagway (wet, more mild, very wet in winter). Just do everyone onboard a favor:  when filling your mug at the coffee station, keep it away from the spigot. And if you’re doing any really active excursions, think about one of those sunglass croakies so you don’t lose them. Each activity adds another element that you need to prepare for. Even if you are not a winter hat fan you should bring one to Alaska. I call it my cruise uniform. The short sleeve T-shirt lets me bend my elbows. You may want to bring along a Magic Eraser to clean those off. Love the links you posted, helpful. I love both designs on the inside of the boots! We'll match you with a local itinerary expert to help you plan your trip. Anything with a good solid sole is great for Alaska. Whether or not your Alaska cruise begins or ends in San Francisco or Seattle, you’re going to need a passport if you want to leave the ship for a tour in Vancouver or Victoria, British Columbia, CA. And…still bend my elbows. Be sure to enjoy a local meal and a glass of wine along the way. This will be our first venture to Alaska. If it’s a chilly or damp day, instead of a T-shirt under my sweater or sweatshirt I wear a long-sleeve silk-like top. Read Is Travel Insurance Worth It? I’ve even used it to cover my legs on a particularly cold and windy boat tour. Rather than absorbing moisture, these fabrics wick away perspiration. The last three items on the bottom right are a miniature flashlight; noise cancelling headphones; and a 7″ Android tablet for reading books and watching movies on the plane, etc. This is a must-have item for any traveler. I have one of this waterproof jackets. Self-drive vacations. Rubber boots are a must if you are doing any wildlife viewing on a boat because you will shore dock. We were able to hang ours near the door, across from the bathroom, on the two coat hooks built into the wall. Think dressy-casual. Packable water bottle; waterproof binoculars with case and strap; camera with charger and extra SD cards; portable clothesline; tube of Woolite for sink washing; gloves and pullover hat (for glacier watching). T-Shirts. It’s really important to remember that it is usually chilly out on deck, especially at night. Black tights I bought at Target. The weather variations will suck your batteries dry. In the mid-afternoon, the sun is at its fullest so if it is not raining, it can be hot. For over twenty-five years, I've been traveling the world without flying, by only river ships, ocean ships, road trips and trains. Required fields are marked *. Whether a cross-Gulf cruise and a few days in Denali or an Inside Passage cruise, it’s all here. If you’re going to more than one place on your own, I’d consider bringing what you can pack in a carry on bag. Rent a car and travel independently on a set itinerary, with lodging and tours booked in advance. However, because we like to adventure, we find ourselves needing a variety of bags when we travel. Thank you very much. If you are traveling to Alaska, don’t forget that rain is very common. Your jacket (see below) will have a rainproof hood to pop over it. I’ve also included a list of those little items that you might otherwise forget. This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase I receive a small commission at no cost to you. It’s loose enough that I can wear my silk undershirt, and a medium-weight sweater underneath. Why? You will find this is what you will be living in. domain: "cruiseline.com", The best type of belt to pack for Alaska is anything that is not leather. Ours at least had two shelves, but I still worried about items falling off into the toilet or getting wet from the shower. When my wife and I travel, we always take too much. This is the perfect insulating layer for cold weather activities. Always bring three or four freezer bags. Next is the insulating layer that protects you from the cold. Or if you are feeling adventurous you can jump on into one of the many lakes Alaska has. Hot Tip: Don’t go cheap with your clothing you are going to pack for Alaska. l love my iPhone and take thousands of photos on every trip. If your cruise is longer or you’ve chosen a cruise and tour, you can still pack the same. © 2013-2020 Red Giant Media, LLC. Plenty. Then again, if you’re a spa person, bring one anyway. This is the toughest part of my packing dilemma. Plus, my printable packing list, too. in our bags when we travel. Trips available from Whittier, Homer, Seward, Juneau, and Sitka. Pack only what you need or are brand specific on. It takes up even less room that way. We wore them only when we were in towns and going out. First, we will spend two days in Vancouver before the cruise and four days in Denali and Seward after the cruise. The best shorts we used for our time in Alaska were the Duluth Trading Dry on the Fly Shorts. They weren’t comfortable in the arch so back they went. Mendenhall Glacier is not only icy-chilly but there’s also spray off the lake. Combined with the clothes I will wearing, I will have to wash at least socks and underwear every other day. Buy tunic tops for Alaska with enough room in the arms so you can wear a layer or two underneath. Or as they’re called up north, Alaska sneakers! Take photos in your house and outside and get used to different lighting conditions. There’s a lot to consider. Layering your clothing is the only way to maximize your comfort in the outdoors of Alaska. We are not affiliated with these companies, we just want you to get the right quality gear to make your Alaska adventure a trip of a lifetime.