Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. With this morning’s dedication of Washington Avenue Pier (née Pier 53) as Philadelphia’s newest park, the city’s paths of immigration, art, and nature converge.

West Coast Trail (us). ! In honor of his incredible career, we’re taking a brief look at how he got his start. ( Log Out /  Land Buoy Installation Means Pier 53 is Close, You Can't Wait for These 5 Upcoming Philly Parks to Happen, Pier 68 to Transform from Eyesore to Beautiful Public Park, Sneak Peek: Pier 53 is Starting to Take Shape in Pennsport, 22 small towns near Philly you need to visit in 2020, 11 quiet Philly spots when you just need to be alone, The best holiday lights around Philly, mapped, Waterfront Developers Obstruct Waterfront Development.

Fresh Development: Pier 53.

Jun 14, 2017 - Before the pier became a public park on the Delaware River, it was at one point the third largest immigration port in the U.S. Jun 14, 2017 - Before the pier became a public park on the Delaware River, it was at one point the third largest immigration port in the U.S. Part of me was surprised that I hadn’t heard about this before, but to be honest, I hadn’t spent any time along this trail, which felt raw, remote, and disconnected. Plans for Pier 68 were unveiled this morning and the preview party for Spruce Street Harbor Park takes place tonight (if you don’t have tickets to tonight’s event, the park officially opens tomorrow). Pier 53 on Curbed Philly. The Geographical Society of Philadelphia promotes the discovery and appreciation of the many wonders of our world.

( Log Out /  West Coast Trail (us). HAPPY HOUR EVERYDAY!!

By choosing I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies.

Travel . I’m looking forward to taking in the finished product this summer, and to watching the rest of the waterfront take shape.

Click on the image to enlarge and see detail.

Travel Destinations. The Pritzker Prize-winning Chinese American architect I.M. Explore. At first glance it might seem out of place, but after some research I discovered that not only will the structure provide a great view of the riverfront, this public art pays homage to the pier’s original purpose.

Pei’s greatest hits, Volunteers Pull 116 Shopping Carts from the Delaware River, Let's Do Something Amazing and Slap a Canal On Broad Street, Pier 53 Takes Its First Bow Along The Delaware River, Ahoy Matey! Email: geosocphil@gmail.com, Copyright 2020 Geographical Society of Philadelphia, Casper Molenaar: Then and Now – An International Photographer in the Footsteps of Kurt Hielscher, geographicalsocietyofphiladelphia.ticketleap.com/phillyimmigrationstationpier-53/. Our historic neglect of the Delaware Waterfront has often been cited as something keeping us from being a true “world-class city” and our government and planners have decided to take action and move us forward. Arriving immigrants first disembarked at Lazaretto Station at Essington for health inspection, then continued up the Delaware River by ship for another eight miles to Pier 53 in South Philadelphia, the final entry point.

A few months ago I was walking along the Delaware River trail in search of the cat shanty town by Pier 70 (I will explain this phenomenon another day) and stumbled upon a rotting pier and some construction along the shoreline. To me, Philadelphia’s Immigration Station at Pier 53 is a sacred spot.

Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. For information, membership, sponsorship, ticket purchases, or volunteer opportunities: Address: Box 67, Haverford PA, 19041 video for Will New York’s new sea wall protect the city from climate change? Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Today is a big day for the Delaware River waterfront. From the 1870s to the 1920s Pier 53 served as the landing point for over a million immigrants, and the viewing structure is intended to represent a “beacon” to guided them to our shores. Posted on 06/26/2014 by barefoot_philadelphia 1 Comment.

4 PM --6 PM 2 FOR 1 TAPPERS 50¢ OFF all bottles and mixers! North America Travel. A “land-buoy” is planned for the end of the pier. The history of Pier 53 is lovingly chronicled here. 14 were here.

Instead, I favored strolls and runs along the Schuylkill River Trail on the opposite side of the city, which is cleaner, more attractive, and feels safer. Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), New Development: Pier 53 Opens | barefoot philadelphia, Follow barefoot philadelphia on WordPress.com, This Weekend in Philly, June 19th to 22nd.