As a purveyor of style and taste, Bergdorf Goodman celebrates brands rooted in craftsmanship and innovation. Once I started making the jewelry I make today, I sold a very substantial amount of it to a very powerful royal family in the Middle East. But the one thing they have in common is that they are very fiercely independent women. Perhaps it was this question that pushed me to find the answer.” “I grew up in Calcutta. From the vibrant florals to draped marigold garlands, the evening was a true reflection of the Sabyasachi Mukherjee brand and the stunning jewelry now featured at Bergdorf Goodman. My paternal grandmother who shaped my consciousness when I was a teenager was a very Spartan woman. They are used to buying from the best in the world. Maybe this is why I feel disappointed. From Amrita Sher-Gil to Frida Kahlo, from Edith Piaf to Madonna and Paloma Picasso. And the fact that they chose my jewelry over some of the world’s very best was all the validation I ever needed. It is extremely handcrafted and full of hidden details, both in the front and back. My departure point possibly lies in mixing the high with the low, which comes from global street influences. Every item on this page was chosen by a Town & Country editor. Editor-in-Chief Stellene Volandes is a jewelry expert, and the author of Jeweler: Masters and Mavericks of Modern Design (Rizzoli). Linda Fargo and Sabyasachi Mukherjee A few weeks ago on the seventh floor of Bergdorf Goodman in New York, I got to sit next to a jeweler who had … We may earn commission on some of the items you choose to buy. 10 Jewel-Tone Accents for a Rich, Vibrant Home. In many ways, it has also influenced my choice of muses. Their taste was simply exquisite. My jewelry breaks that stereotype. Celebrated with a festive cocktail party and intimate dinner at BG Restaurant, notable socials, tastemakers and mavericks of the jewelry industry gathered to honor this fitting collaboration. Indian precious jewelry can sometimes be very forbidding, overbearing and formal. Good jewelry is like good underwear—it should give you an indescribable feeling of luxury that exists only for you and you alone, and should be privy to just a lucky few. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io, 9 Out of This World Gifts from Neiman Marcus, The Right Earring Can Give You an Instant Facelift, Queen Elizabeth II's Most Glamorous Jewels, Louis Vuitton to Cut a 549-Carat Diamond for You, How Hermès Became the Must-Have Watch Brand, Instant Heirloom: Hawaiian Name Bracelets, How the Royals Use Jewelry to Send a Message, BFA. A few weeks ago on the seventh floor of Bergdorf Goodman in New York, I got to sit next to a jeweler who had just arrived from India. I like to stay true to that. A proud new addition to the department store's featured jewelry brands, Bergdorf welcomed the exclusive launch of Calcutta-based jewelry designer Sabyasachi Mukherjee, who debuted a 65-piece Haute Joaillerie collection featuring all one-of-a-kind pieces. My jewelry is strong, individualistic, and eclectic with a very strong Indian soul. Where has all the art gone? I have grown up with very strong women around me. I used to sell them to street hawkers in Calcutta packaged in small tiffin boxes. The jewelry was made with horn, shell, wood, brass and aluminum, because at the time, it was all I could afford. If you look at India’s tradition of jewelry, you will notice it has always been a celebration of excess and exuberance, along with very fine craftsmanship. Every item on this page was chosen by a Town & Country editor. Bergdorf Goodman's Heavenly New Jewelry Salon Is Open, Bergdorf Goodman's Halloween Windows Will Scare The Chic Out Of You, These Are Some of the Rare and Valuable Jewels at Siegelson's New Show, Inside The Park Ave Apartment of Bergdorf's Star Personal Shopper. SABYASACHI Fine & Heritage Jewelry “Growing up, I spent hours rummaging through my mother and grand-mothers’ jewelry cupboards. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io, T&C Philanthropy Summit: "The Way Forward", Golden South Sea Pearls and Sustainability. She had very little, and her absolute chicness came from a severity and minimalism. I started designing jewelry long before I started making clothes. While the front of the jewelry is important, the back is equally so. My muses are varied, yo-yoing between maximalism and minimalism. Town & Country participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. I also got to see his bold and imaginative creations, pieces that fuse modernity and heritage, Madonna and Frida Kahlo, up close. His 65-piece Haute Joaillerie collection, featuring all one-of-a-kind pieces, is at Bergdorf's in the main jewelry salon through March 31, but I’ll let Sabyasachi Mukherjee tell you the rest. We may earn commission on some of the items you choose to buy. It was almost frightening; this city does that to you. "Indian precious jewelry can sometimes be very forbidding, overbearing and formal.". Bergdorf Goodman Celebrates Exclusive Launch with Sabyasachi Mukherjee, This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. I make jewelry that is steeped in nostalgia and Indian heritage. A proud new addition to the department store's featured jewelry brands, Bergdorf welcomed the exclusive launch of Calcutta-based jewelry designer Sabyasachi … Town & Country participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. Sabyasachi Mukherjee's work, now at Bergdorf Goodman, fuses modernity and heritage. Linda Fargo and Sabyasachi Mukherjee. This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses.