–Gilderoy Lockhart, Chamber of Secrets, chapter four, Sadness: He and his schoolmates will, in fact, be getting the real magical me […]” What mysteries do the muscles mask? I write for the Daily Prophet. Additional Examples Assessment September 2014 –Professor McGonagall, Sorcerer’s Stone, chapter eight. Friendship: But that feeling is lost in the long description that focuses on the food court. February 2017 Back To School Once inside, darkness swooped over him, and the sounds of clinking and every man in the city yelling echoed off the walls. Students may write, 'The boy was bored and his father was frustrated.' Lie Tree They first entered the food court. Writing 4. Setting is important to any story, and it’s nice to know what the characters look like. Hot-tempered people are more likely to use negative words while happy-to-go people are more likely to use happy language. Not to mention my ravid readers.” Because of the showing, we’re with the character as she performs her magic, so we’re there in the story with her. Literacy –Draco Malfoy, Sorcerer’s Stone, chapter twelve, “Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.” We gave the setting, so we know where the characters are. December 2015 Wands only—no contact. I usually suggest hiding the description with the conflict and using a mix of showing and telling. Once again the film shows us what to include in our description of these two feelings for example: In this clip we get our first taste of the excitement felt by the father figure when he knows a whale is close. Never heard of a wizard’s duel before, I suppose?” Cindy and Julia need suits. Rules In this example, the showing helps the reader enter the story. A few sentences that tell a setting, a character’s appearance, some object, etc are fine. She blinked, and in a second, her brother was right there next to her. –Moaning Myrtle, Chamber of Secrets, chapter nine, Worry: “Blown up a toilet? Just writing down what I think about school and education. This post will focus on (well-written) dialogue. Part 3- Show, Don’t Tell: Emotions, Moods, and Reactions “It’s not funny. But Harry mustn’t do that this year! “Elsa could make snow and ice appear out of thin air. ( Log Out /  Men had to work underground and make sure the underground generator functioned properly. They’re working to bring down the Ministry of Magic from within using a combination of Dark Magic and gum disease.” –Arthur Weasley, Prisoner of Azkaban, chapter four. But still try to show. Keep description brief—readers will fill in the rest ( Log Out /  For writing descriptions, I think it’s okay to tell a little. Because I believe description should be kept minimal, you can get away with telling sometimes. “Of course he has,” said Ron, wheeling around. Persuasion “You know what Harry and Ron are like, wandering off by themselves—they’ve ended up in the Forbidden Forest twice! Help the reader slip into your story. “Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekov talking about the use of a well know literary device called ‘Show, don’t tell’ and more recently ‘Show, not tell.’ This method which has many proponents in the world of literature is not a new phenomenon. Rita Pierson He uses a tight shot on the boy's feet and pedals as well as his face. Rang Tan May 2016 “Don’t worry, ickle Ronniekins is safe with us.” We understand how her magic works too. Technology “Bed empty! September 2017 June 2017 It’s hard to imagine a child or teenager saying this, so the second example shows the character is an adult. In this example, the character herself isn’t performing the action, and the writer is just telling us how her magic works. Passing shack after shack, they squeezed through gaps of crowds of people wearing rags. She had to beat her brother to the yogurt shop. What quirks lurk beneath those rosy cheeks? Part 4- Show, Don’t Tell: Setting, Physical Traits, and Descriptions –Molly Weasley, Fred Weasley, George Weasley, and Ron Weasley, Sorcerer’s Stone, chapter six. This post will focus on (well-written) dialogue. ( Log Out /  “Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. It’s you we don’t know. If we took it out, will the overall story and conflict change? Setting is important to any story, and it’s nice to know what the characters look like. 1st Chapter Tips from a Literary Agent Panel, My Synesthesia: What Is It and How It Affects My Editing and Writing. “I’m not as good as you,” said Harry, very embarrassed, as she let go of him. She ran faster.”. They entered the food court first. And look after Ron.” When are you getting the train back to the Muggles?” [said Malfoy.] Twitter Well, not ALL of it. May 2015 I’ll try.” Megan said. Journalist: And cleverness! January 2019 Ks1 Reading Vipers Women could only work as teachers and assistants to The Elites who ran the government. May 2017 Integrate your description with the conflict and story Showing is especially important for culture. Original Things: Magical Powers, Exotic Places, Different Cultures, Etc: