Will definitely look for this tofu skin here, such a fabulous looking dish, inviting platter.. Nov 12, 2019 - Tofu Skin Noodles With Tofu Skin, Vegetable Oil, Green Onion, Garlic, Hot Chilies, Light Soy Sauce, Oyster Sauce, Kosher Salt, Sesame Oil I fell for tofu skins years ago in a (sadly now-shuttered) New York restaurant called Biang!, which specialized in hand-pulled wheat noodles and other dishes from the city of Xi’an in central China, including an intriguing appetizer of tofu skins, impaled on skewers and coated in a garlicky Szechuan peppercorn sauce. Tofu skins, sometimes called yuba, are a prized part of the tofu-making process, in which soy milk is boiled and concentrated. Tofu Skins: Fried, Steamed, Stuffed, Seared. Enter tofu skins. If using dried bean curd skin, then you will need to rehydrate it first. Remove from water. In Kyoto, I enjoyed an extensive yuba tasting menu and tried my hand at skimming my own (with decidedly mixed results) at one of that city’s several yuba-focused restaurants. I recently posted to Instagram a photo of dish I’ve come to call double tofu—a rehydrated tofu stick and cubes of firm tofu simmered in coconut milk and soy sauce, the skin’s mild flavor brought to life with curry leaves, lime juice, black sesame seeds, chopped roasted peanuts, and a spoon of Chinese chile crisp. whatever you have that is fresh! I must check out my local Asian store to grab some Yuba! Add bok choy and stir fry until tender crisp, about 1~2 minutes. In reaction to the post, Beijing-based food writer and editor Lilian Chou, whom I met while working at Art Culinaire, weighed in. “In Beijing and other parts of China, it’s served as a ‘cold dish,’ or Chinese meal starter. Cook's Hideout is all about delicious vegetarian dishes from India and also from around the world. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Steamed spaghetti squash is straight-up tragic. Laurie Woolever is a writer, editor, and right-hand man to Anthony Bourdain, with whom she co-authored Appetites: A Cookbook in 2016. This is a very easy to make Chinese stir fry dish made with rehydrated yuba noodles and bok choy, It is a simple and absolutely delicious side dish. It looks and feels like a greaseless sheet of chicken skin, is easy to cut, and is a great stand-in for boiled noodles or any pasta that you’d finish in a pan sauce. The name doesn’t really sound very exciting or appetizing. Then there’s tsumami, a gossamer-thin tofu skin variation that resembles caul fat, harvested between gently pinched fingertips; hikiage, a young, delicate—but structurally sound—tofu sheet that’s often rolled around fillings or served as tofu “sashimi”; and what the company simply calls “fresh” yuba, the hardiest variety. Yuba or bean curd skin is a protein rich ingredient. Yuba has a nice chewy texture once cooked. Heat 2tbsp oil in a wok or pan over high heat. I think the first time I noticed yuba was on Indira’s site. I am a white person, and I made the dish with no particular allegiance to one country’s flavor profiles or traditions; it was strictly about what I had on hand that might work well together and help me get dinner on the table quickly. When you want to eat, just add the rice noodles to boiling water & let it sit for 4-5 minutes until the rice noodles are soft… 6 Comments. It is sold under various names, including dried tofu stick and bamboo stick. Never tried these skins..not a great fan of Indian tofu..but have always liked the Japanese one…so probably these skins might appeal. I live in a crossroads-of-the-world-type neighborhood in New York, where it’s easy to find a wide variety of tofu skins, both fresh and dried, of varying thicknesses and textures. Great side for any Asian meal. I used a mix of Shitake & Chestnut, but ordinary button mushrooms are also fine. Here you will find recipes that are easy AND tasty to make. On a recent trip to Hong Kong, and as I made the dim sum rounds, over and over I ate paper-thin tofu skins wrapped around seasoned pork, shrimp, and vegetables. The latest in food culture, cooking, and more. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Yummly (Opens in new window), Jamaican Jerk Jackfruit with Rice and Peas. More about me... As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. We are experiencing an error, please try again. It is quite easy to do it – just soak them in a large bowl of water for about 30 minutes or until softened. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Hello, I am Pavani, the cook in this hideout. Your email address will not be published. Fu pei gyun, a dim sum dish made with shrimp wrapped in tofu skin, then fried. For those whose local grocery store lacks such bounty, fresh and dried yuba are available online at veganessentials.com, on Amazon, and via the website for Hodosoy, which currently dominates the fresh yuba market in the U.S. Hodosoy is a California-based company with national distribution that makes a variety of fresh yuba products, the most delicate and perishable of which is a soft, barely congealed kumiyage yuba, the first to be scooped from the simmering soy milk. The dried variety of tofu skin, which looks a little like a bag of desiccated corn husks upon purchase, is cheaper and obviously more shelf-stable than the fresh variety, though far more difficult to separate into single sheets, even after a long dehydrating soak, and is therefore better used as a chunky noodle substitute in soups and stir-fries.