In John chapter 13, we find the passage where Jesus washes His disciples` feet. It is the great concern of all Christ's disciples, constantly to keep up dependence upon Christ, and communion with him. ὑπὲρ "For" is from huper (hyper), which means "over" (of place), "above' (in a state of rest), "off' (ships at sea), "over" and "across (in a state of motion), "over", "beyond", "on behalf of one (metaphor), "for", "instead of", "in the name of", "as a representative of" (in an entreaty), "for" and "because of" (of the cause of motive), "concerning", "exceeding" "above" and "beyond" (of measure), "above" and "upwards" (of numbers), "before" and "earlier than" (of time), "over much" and "beyond measure" (as an adverb), "for" and "in deference of" (doing a thing), and "above measure. -- The Mysteries of Jesus's Greek Revealed. It is a comfort to the greatest sufferers, if they suffer for Christ's name's sake. lib. In a question, it can mean "who", "why," or "what. John 15:13 (CJB) They are to express love within their community with humility and in practical ways. We must honour God, and do good; this is bearing fruit. Cyrop. ", φίλων "Friends" is from philos, which as an adjective means "loved", "beloved", "dear", "kith and kin", "nearest and dearest", "friends," and (of things) "welcome" and "pleasant.". Now--rather, "Already." This is the very best way to love. 14. Compared to agape, phileo is stronger and more passionate, more like our use of love in English. There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. l. 427, etc."Me! Bible verses by topic. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends--The emphasis lies not on "friends," but on "laying down his life" for them; that is, "One can show no greater regard for those dear to him than to give his life for them, and this is the love ye shall find in Me.". ", ταύτης "This" is from tauta, which is a referring pronoun meaning "these", "this", "that," and "here." No man hath more love than this, that a man put his life for his friends. The greatest love you can show is to give your life for your friends. θῇ (3rd sg aor subj act) "Lay down " is from tithêmi (tithemi) which means "to put", "to place", "to propose", "to suggest," and a metaphor for "to put in one's mind." New International Version (NIV), Upgrade to Bible Gateway Plus, and access the NEW, NIV, Beautiful Word Bible Journal, Acts, Comfort Print, NIV, Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible, Personal Size, Red Letter Edition: Bringing to Life the Ancient World of Scripture, NIV, The Story: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People, NIV, Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible, Red Letter Edition: Bringing to Life the Ancient World of Scripture, NIV, Quest Study Bible, Comfort Print: The Only Q and A Study Bible, NIV, Biblical Theology Study Bible, Comfort Print: Follow God’s Redemptive Plan as It Unfolds throughout Scripture. He answered, I will indeed, O Cyrus, και της ψυχης πριαιμην, ransom her even with My Life, that she may be no longer in thraldom. This is the word for love we have seen used over and over in this section of John. John 15:13. μείζων "Greater than" is from meizôn, (meizon) which means "bigger," and "greater" and is the comparative form of megas, which means "big" and "great. . That a man lay down his life for his friends - No man can carry his love for his friend farther than this: for, when he gives up his life, he gives up all that he has. The first form, agape, is the word that is usually translated as love in the Gospels, but the concept is closer to brotherly love. John 15:13 (KJVA) All rights reserved. It greatly enhances the love of Christ, that while the instances of those who have been willing to die for friends have been so rare, he was willing to die for enemies - bitter foes, who rejected his reign, persecuted him, reviled him, scorned him, and sought his life, 1 John 4:10; Romans 5:6, Romans 5:10. And how much wilt thou advance to enjoy thy children again? MeA fraus omnis: - nihil Iste - nec ausus,Nec potuit - Caelum hoc, et conscia sidera testor!Tantum infelicem Nimium Dilexit Amicum.Aen. If the same power that first shed abroad the love of Christ's in our hearts, did not keep us in that love, we should not long abide in it. you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit--that is, give yourselves to it. every branch that beareth fruit--As in a fruit tree, some branches may be fruitful, others quite barren, according as there is a vital connection between the branch and the stock, or no vital connection; so the disciples of Christ may be spiritually fruitful or the reverse, according as they are vitally and spiritually connected with Christ, or but externally and mechanically attached to Him. It can mean the nearer or the further depending on usage. John 15:13 (NRSA) This proof of my love for you I shall give in a few hours; and the doctrine which I recommend to you I am just going to exemplify myself. John 15:13 (NAS) "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. Christ's entire life was an example of humble obedience, submissive service and total dependence upon God.. in order to demonstrate to each one of us.. exactly how God desires us to live - i.e. All that I have, replied the king. iii.c.The second example, which is too long to be inserted, is that affecting account of the friendship of Nisus and Euryalus, given by Virgil, in the ninth book of the Aeneis. This verse actually contrasts two different forms of love. No one has greater love than a person who lays down his life for his friends. Greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. The substance of these important verses has occurred more than once before. hilarious videos from Christian comedians, user-uploaded videos, and clean viral videos to brighten your day. John 15:13 (NCV) The fruitless He "taketh away" "purgeth" (cleanseth, pruneth)--stripping it, as the husbandman does, of what is rank ( Mark 4:19 ), "that it may bring forth more fruit"; a process often painful, but no less needful and beneficial than in the natural husbandry. Salem Media Group. . Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Privacy Policy   Terms of Use. By these words our Lord shows, how far love to another should extend, even to the laying down of our lives for the brethren; which is the highest instance of love among men; that a man lay down his life for his friends; cast into the fire . "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. Christ's love to us should direct us to love each other. He was the One Who created the heaven and earth and through Him all things hold together by the might of His power. All rights reserved. John 15:13 (BBE) 5. without me--apart, or vitally disconnected from Me. 6. and that your fruit should remain--showing itself to be an imperishable and ever growing principle. It is also used to describe "the spirit" of things. Greater love hath no man than this. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends. Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. It is through our active will.. being fully dependent upon God to complete the good work that He has started in us... which results in us carrying out the task that God has prepared for us to do - but it can only be effected as we follow Christ's example.. by living in humble obedience, submissive service and active dependence upon our heavenly Father's will - and in total surrender to Him.